• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 Remington Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do use .454 Hornady (and sometimes even feels somes are slightly too small...).

Yes. But also had my chambers reamed to 0.449" and use my 0.457" ball or 0.456" conicals. I'm considering going further to 0.452-3".

Although a chamfer will "swage" the lead, it really won't have any different effect on the ball than just forcing the ball into chambers with a sharp corner.

Lead is too soft and malleable to have any memory of its former shape so it will not "spring back" after it has passed the chamfer to grip or seal the chamber.

At one time, Colt patented the idea of using a chamfered chamber mouth but the idea was not to form a better fit of the ball with the chamber.
The idea was to deflect the flames from the chamber being fired from the mouths of the adjacent chambers.

Some of Colts pistols have this patented feature but most don't.

rodwha said:
Yes. But also had my chambers reamed to 0.449" and use my 0.457" ball or 0.456" conicals. I'm considering going further to 0.452-3".

If you would, please let me know who did the chambers' reaming work for you and how it turned out. My Pietta 5 1/2" barrel has very different reaming from one chamber to the other. The depths and therefore the diameters differ. With the shorter barrel being more sensitive to changes in charges and ball travel it really is a point of frustration for the shooter (that's me).

Chamfering the mouths of the chambers; the metal gets swaged in rather than partially removed. Did this in the 70's with good results. Hence I asked the question as to whether anyone was currently shooting that way.

A fellow who guys by the name Fly did it in exchange for a box of my cast cap n ball conicals.

As far as I can tell he did an excellent job, though all I have are calipers so I wouldn't be able to get an accurate measurement.

For my application (using my ROA projectiles) I feel it reduces the additional stress when loading.

LEM said:
I agree: dunno from where the author can fire only 12 shots before starting experimenting issues.. I generaly fire 24 shots with no issue (and no lube) - Pietta from 2016, 25 grains ffffg.

Did you really mean 25 grains of ffffg? I shoot the same measure of fff.

Love my 1858's one Sheriffs model tgt and one SS
7-1/2"bbl tgt model.

I worked over an early target model 58 Pietta bought some 30 years ago. A barrel spud made to hold a chucking reamer through the barrel hole in the frame after removing the barrel.
The shank of the reamer was made a very close slip fit through the spud to align it into the chamber mouths when installed in the frame barrel hole, indexed by the bolt in the gun.
Each chamber was reamed to .450 and to exact depth which uniformed chamber mouths and aligned them each with the barrel.
The barrel was lapped out to .449 as I remember it and the forcing cone reamed a bit deeper.
Shoots better than my ROA.

Bear, I think that the reviewers "group" shot one hand at seven yards says it all. If I couldn't shoot any better than that, I'd keep my opinions to myself and practice. He looses all credibility in my mind with such a poor demonstration of his total lack shooting abilities. I don't feel I am being unfair or over critical, after all, he is the one that put himself out there, not me.

As for me, I don't care for the Remingtons all that much, BUT they can be phenomenally accurate. I have a 36, 44, and 45 Colt. Just for fun I routinely shoot them at an IDPA silhouette targets at 100 yards and normally keep all rounds in the A zone. Don't fit me very well but they sure will shoot.

I agree with you...I don't want to deal with that
ring of lead that is shaved off...my choice and I
am staying with it.

Latest posts

Back