• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

He did gel test on Colt revolvers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Hubbs video: .32 Colt went thru five 10" water jugs!
-----------------

There used to be a Remington1858 forum (now gone) it was sister to the Colt Country forum. Anyway, 1863 Remington owners said the Remington 1863 .32 had far less velocity than the Colt .32 pockets.

One guy posted this (Rem 1863)
15 grains 3F Pyrodex
.315 ball, 433 fps...
.323 ball 770 fps
(click link below)
Black Powder Ballistics

The above table I saved to hardisk, glad I did because that forum (1858Remington.com) disappeared from the net a couple years ago.

Gist of the long thread the table was in was that the Remington recommended .315" ball for 1863 pocket gave terrible velocity. And .321 balls were much better, but they would not ram in with the small lever on the 1863, in fact you might break the lever trying. So they all were using .321 and pounding them into the cylinder using dowels.

I'm guessing that It might be a good idea when using the Rem 1863 is to find some soft lead balls sized somewhere in between .315 and .321 that will load with the rammer.

I wondered at his statement that the kaido was the only bullet he could find which was close to the originals. As we all know, there are lots of bullets, including replicas of the originAl 260 grain walker bullet available. I’ll bet he’d have loved that bullet in front of a load of Swiss...

Back