• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

picked up a Lymans Great Plains pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this Pistol, up along with some other stuff.. it's never been fired. It was new in the box..any suggestions on a good load.. I don't know a whole lot about pistols.. just the basics. I did notice the hammer doesn't sound as crisp when i pull it back as my GPR does..any ideas?

You can start out with 20 grains 3F, and work up from there. Keep an eye on your patches, my 50 eats patches no matter the charge or patch material,and needed to have an overpowder buffer, I use corn meal. My 54 doesn't need the overpowder buffer till 40 grains and over.I would take the lock out of the pistol and lube and clean it. have fun and good shooting.

You didn't mention which caliber you got. My .54 shoots good with 30 grains 3F, .015 patch, and a .530 ball.
rae gave you good advice about cleaning and lubing the lock. Mine came with a LOT of grease/goo in the lock. Automotive brake cleaner on the lock and the bore before you take it shootin' should clean it up nicely.

i have that pistol in .54cal love it .530 roundball .10 patch and 30gr 2f powder 30 yds i got really good groups with it and didnt really have to mess with the sights have fun

I bought one in .54 like you, bought as a used gun but looks unfired, like new. Haven't got out to shoot it yet. We both can have fun learning what our guns like. I hope to try mine out this weekend.

I bought one in .54 like you, bought as a used gun but looks unfired, like new. Haven't got out to shoot it yet.
tiger955 said:
We both can have fun learning what our guns like. I hope to try mine out this weekend.
I'm not sure when I can shoot mine..I'm hoping sooner, rather than later.I do like the balance, or feel of the pistol. I've shot a few here and there, a Traditions Trapper and a CVA and none of them I like as well as a Lyman. I hope mine shoots as well the one my buddy has. It aughta be fun learning the ropes..I got mine specifically for the turkey shoots and woodswalks in my area. So after I sight her in..it probably won't get a lot use until my club shoots in the spring.

Latest posts

Back