• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pewter Bolster Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to pour a bolster on the patch knife I'm making. Wonderin if it's OK to let the pewter run down the hole into the antler handle?

If so, will this anchor the blade or will it still be necessary to drill and pin the tang to the handle? Much thanks in advance. GW

It may, or may not. Depends on several things. What kind of notching you do to the tang to give the pewter a place to hold? How do you make a niche in the antler to allow the pewter somewhere to grab it? How wide is the bolster going to be?

My experience, you should probably figure on pinning the blade in, or at least epoxying it in. Pewter shrinks some as it cools and you may end up with a little undesireable wiggle in the there.

I drill several holes at an angle around the main hole where the tang will fit into. I hammer the tang in and when I pour the pewter, the angled holes act as anchors to hold it in.

Cutting notches into the tang pryor to installing it will also help hold it in. It then acts more like and anchor bolt.

Regards

I've got the tang notched and went ahead and drilled and pinned it. I drilled some extra holes in the antler to help anchor the bolster. Gonna pour a couple practice pieces and then give er he11. Will let ya know how it turns out. Thanks guys.......GW

I have been told to keep the epoxy & hot pewter separated when hot ... from a reliable source! :hmm: Fireworks may ensue! :thumbsup:

Davy

Davy, I wondered about that. Was originally gonna use Acra-Glass to anchor the tang in the handle but decided to drill and pin it. (PC :grin: ) Then use the pewter to fill in the spaces. GW

The pewter cools quickly. But, finding access to use epoxy to bed the handle to the tang would be a problem. Better to choose one or the other. And, yes, never get the two together when the pewter is molten.

I don't know :confused:
I use epoxy (and a pin or two)followed by pewter all the time and once the epoxy (I use 2 Ton or JB Weld) is fully hardened (24 hrs) I've never had a problem with the epoxy causing problems when pouring the hot pewter - different strokes I reckon.. :hmm:
Now Cutler's Resin (a period mix of pitch, bees wax, and a filler) will at times smoke a bit but nothing real serious.

As noted above pewter isn't always the best "lock". Because of the shrinkage factor it can and most likely will loosen over time - ask me how I know... :(

Latest posts

Back