• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permatex {Prussian Blue}

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Have used this transfer agent for years when inletting components into the wood but lately have had difficulty finding a source. It's also called "Prussian Blue" spotting compound and is used in tool shops for "spotting in" plastic molds, bearings, etc. I mix it w/ the same colored hi-temp bearing grease and it works out well, w/ a minimum amount of absorption. Tried the black stuff and it's too messy and hard to remove. Any info would be greatly appreciated......Fred

Have you tried NAPA auto parts ? That is where I bought my last tube.

flehto said:
Have used this transfer agent for years when inletting components into the wood but lately have had difficulty finding a source. It's also called "Prussian Blue" spotting compound and is used in tool shops for "spotting in" plastic molds, bearings, etc. I mix it w/ the same colored hi-temp bearing grease and it works out well, w/ a minimum amount of absorption. Tried the black stuff and it's too messy and hard to remove. Any info would be greatly appreciated......Fred

Is this the same blue Permatex that is used for making gaskets? :hmm:

Davy

oil lamp is what i use and have no problems....just sand a little after ya are done............bob

I use a candle, when the candle is burning it will produce black soot. Hold your part above the flame some and the black soot will adhere to your part you want to inlet.

Frank

"Is this the same blue Permatex that is used for making gaskets?"

Davey, No it's not. completely different stuff. Permatex makes it, but it 's specifically for marking items for such things as fitting parts together, and finding the high spots.
Flehto, I'd try a Google search, or as been said try Napa. You can ask them to order it. It's not what you would call a big mover, so they might not stock it, but will order it . I use the oil lamp, or my sight smoker to blacken my parts. The sight smoker is nothing more than a small carbide lamp. It works very well. I think Brownell's stock them. Bill

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
"Is this the same blue Permatex that is used for making gaskets?"

Davey, No it's not. completely different stuff. Permatex makes it, but it 's specifically for marking items for such things as fitting parts together, and finding the high spots.
Flehto, I'd try a Google search, or as been said try Napa. You can ask them to order it. It's not what you would call a big mover, so they might not stock it, but will order it . I use the oil lamp, or my sight smoker to blacken my parts. The sight smoker is nothing more than a small carbide lamp. It works very well. I think Brownell's stock them. Bill

Well then what exactly is this stuff called besides Permatex? And a part number perhaps would help ... I have been to the Permatex site and they do not list it at all! :hmm:

Thanx

Davy

Its called Prussian blue. Have never used it on wood but if you still cant find it check MSC. They sell tools and equipment for machining. Thats where I purchased mine. It is also available in Red. Do a search for MSC they have a website.

You might try this link

BLUE STUFF

What I really want to know is how did you manage to use up an entire tube of it?
A little of this stuff could cover half of Chicago. :grin:

Well duh!!! Thanx guys .. I completely disregarded the prussin blue remark when I went looking. Talk about a dummy ...I am one! I have never used the stuff, and have up to now allus thought it was somehow the gasket stuff I have used so many times in the past on my cars, mixed in some kind of special formulation! Double dummy! :cursing:

Appreciate the help in clearing up one of my many misconceptions amigos! :thumbsup:

Davy

Still have a little left but "cut" it w/ hi-temp bearing grease. First obtained this tube when I served an apprenticeship for tool and diemaking.....52 years ago. A little goes a long way. Might try the "Magic Marker" and see if it's as good and also will look at MSC. Thanks for the info...........Fred

Fred, shipping on one tube won't be nice. Lump it in with some sheet brass, drill rod, etc. to make it worth your while. They have 1/8" leaded yellow brass for side plates, too! :thumbsup:

LSU TIGER said:
Fred, shipping on one tube won't be nice. Lump it in with some sheet brass, drill rod, etc. to make it worth your while. They have 1/8" leaded yellow brass for side plates, too! :thumbsup:
I would assume you are talking about Zonie's Link? :confused:

Zonie..."Blue Stuff" is the link that I'll be ordering thru seeing "Permatex" ad is very obvious. Couldn't pull it up at MSC......Thanks for the info......Fred

flehto said:
Zonie..."Blue Stuff" is the link that I'll be ordering thru seeing "Permatex" ad is very obvious. Couldn't pull it up at MSC......Thanks for the info......Fred

BTW I just contacted the O'Reilly's Auto Parts near my house here in Texas ... and they carry the Prussian Blue here .. I dunno about anywhere else. :hmm:

Davy

check your auto parts store, I have used it for checking mating on ring gear and pinion gear on rear ends. flinch

Back