• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period [sort of] cleaning kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you PC nuts carry for keeping your firelocks clean? I'm thinking about small cork bottles filed with modern solutions such as Hoppes #9, and BP Solvent, but I'd like to see what the rest of you carry (and how you carry it).

Mr. Skagun,
When the temp drops down between 0 and -40 below zero (F), I carry a small flask of rum or fine single malt. Does a good job of cleaning and don't have to worry about the wet patch sticking to the barrel. ::
Best Wishes

hic, Gee Mr. Obvious, I never hic made the conection, hic!
I don't care how much I love BESS, I ain't sharing my Makers!
Now, I might consider carrying some of that Beefeater stuff for the job :thumbsup:

I've got a canteen full of water and rarely run out of spit. Works great!!
Black Hand

Maker's. . . unghunghungh
homer_simpson_drool.jpg

Windwalker: May a thousand claymores slash at you. Some folk might think you are serious about using single malt to pour down a gun barrel. My friend Glen Livet is livid. :curse: graybeard

Makers, I knew this site had good taste. We refer to it as group tightener! :results:

Hmm, I prefer Knob Creek myself, but I certainly wouldn't think twice about pouring Maker's Mark down the barrel! :crackup:

Pouchcontents.jpg

I carry a little 1 oz. McCormick vanilla bottle with the threads ground off (love them Mizzy Wheels) and a cork added that I keep moose milk in. One of Ted Cash's little thin brass oiler tubes with Birchwood Casey Sheath for oiling the lock and displacing water in the bore. A 1 oz. tin of Moose Snot to wipe the bore afterwards (and both the Snot and milk are my shooting lubes should I run out of dry-lubed strips from the little waxed buckskin pouch). I carry a 3' roll each of 0.015" and 0.018/20" ticking for cutting at the muzzle.

The tool roll has a turn-screw to change flints and remove the lock, a dozen thick cotton patches and couple feathers to plug the vent so the milk doesn't get out the vent (and the roll also holds a disassembled spring vise, two metal vent picks & five spare flints).

I also have a tow worm loaded with tow in my patchbox. That makes a great bore scrubber and breech-face cleaner, but I confess I seldom use it. Cotton patches are easier to wipe, replace and bury.

And you don't pour rum or whiskey directly into the barrel! You swish it around in your mouth to sanitize your saliva for wetting the patches.

Thanks SK, that's what I was after. I need a carrier that will accomodate my gear while on th trail so it wont rattle about. last thing I want is to have the inside of my bag coated with gun oil because the stopper came out of the bottle!

18-50.jpg

Here's a "catalog" shot of the oiler. "Guaranteed not to leak". So far that's proved true. I further slip it into a sleeve sewn in the tool roll, and that rolls up and holds it upright in my hunting bag.

I formerly used a surplus British oiler from a WWI era SMLE (designed to fit in a butt-trap), but that leaked. Looked older, though. Obviously rolled and soldered and with a leather washer. As with most of Ted Cash's products, this is too "nice" for my kit.

I found that rubber stoppers DO NOT hold with moose milk as well as cork. The cork "weeps" a bit, but the rubber stoppers slide right out. A tapered pine plug works. I have one of those in an old medicine bottle to carry alcohol for cleaning.

Back