• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period Correct Machining

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4sd4d

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A question here.

I have looked online and found no difinitive answers.

I remember seeing a sketch from about the late 1700s of some people machining a cannon barrel.

Does anyone have information on machinery and cutting tools used when making these old guns.

Being a machinist myself, I am fairly interested in this kind of info.

4sd4d said:
A question here.

I have looked online and found no difinitive answers.

I remember seeing a sketch from about the late 1700s of some people machining a cannon barrel.

Does anyone have information on machinery and cutting tools used when making these old guns.

Being a machinist myself, I am fairly interested in this kind of info.

The frame work for early lathes were generally made from oak. Files were more generally used than cutting tools on metals. At least that has been my experience. But then again, I'm working 14th-15th century.

The lathe can been documented back to the days of the Pharohs.

Most early iron/steel cannon barrels were either cast using wooden forms to make molds in the sand. They would be decorated using carved plates to imprint the sand after the main impression was made. The bore was often made using a void, and honed to round and smooth.

Earlier on though, barrels were hammer forged using cooperage technology.

The period you are seeking info on, they are just beginning to mass produce iron and steel, so frames would be constructed of either cast or wrought iron using what would be recognized as rudimentary cutting tools. The industrial age had yet to arrive.

I use spring pole lathe technology when fitting tillers to gonnes.

CP

try my website:
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~dispater/cannons.htm

Theres also a bit on the history of the lathe. What you have to realise is that up till the 1700's, Cannon were not bored from solid - they were cast with the bore in place and the bore was merely reamed out to the right size.
All the information you'll ever need is in the book:
Jackson and de Beer, "Eighteenth Century Gunfounding", David and Charles, 1973

Thanks for the replies.

I will check the website and the book.

It would be a bear to hone the casting out without being able to bore it first.

benvenuto said:
up till the 1700's, Cannon were not bored from solid - they were cast with the bore in place and the bore was merely reamed out to the right size.

What do they call those little iron pins cast into a bronze barrel, the ones that supported the bore mould while it was poured.

I used to know but I've forgotten :(

The difficulty was in getting past the "skin" of the casting, but after that it was comparatively trouble free, and pressumably easier than drilling from solid. Cannon were being cast with the bore in place up until 1800 or so. Moritz made the first major experiments in the 1730's, and then the Verbruggens father and son started at the Hague and then later at Greenwich up till the end of the American war. :hatsoff:

Back