• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmaster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering what anyone uses to place caps on the nipple of an underhammer rifle. I just bought one at a gun show and my Cash cappers are unable to access the nipple so I was stuck putting them on by hand. This would be ok if I didn't have fingers the size of bratwurst, but I do. Can anyone suggest an alternative, other than giving them my rifle? :bow:

Hello Oldmaster!
The underhammer is one of the best shooting muzzleloaders available, however capping this type of rifle has always been a pain.
To keep the cap in place, you must pinch the cap a bit to deform it enough, to reliably stay on the nipple.
So my friend, you will have to loose weight on your finger tips, or practice picking up needles.
Have you tried rolling the rifle over, while putting on the cap, it helps a bit.
I have the same problem, my fingers are also a tad big for handling the small caps.
Best Regards

Old Ford

Ive had maybe 15 or so UH's and never had a problem of them falling off ck your nipple, at 1/2 cock you can get a lot of loaders in, if not full cock itthen let it back to down to 1/2. Fred :hatsoff:

If it has one of the nipple guards on it you may have to turn the guard sideways and then your capper might work. If not you will just have to turn it over and work with what you have.
Fox :hatsoff:

Thanks to all who replied. I have been turning the rifle upside down to get the caps on and have not had a problem with them falling off, just getting the darn small caps close enough to the end of my finger tips to put them on. I think I will try picking up needles for practice. :winking:

a straight line capper works, (not an in-line capper!). i do like to pinch mine.

underhammers forever!

I agree with Walruskid: I think you need to buy an inexpensive stick, or straight line capper. That should work fine. I have seen them being used by the slug gun shooters at Friendship, and they all shoot underhammer guns. Some of them have exceedingly large thumbs.

I turned the flash guard to the side and that worked well for using my capper. I also decided to carve out a piece of the stock so that the capper would work even better. In 10 years, with two underhammers I've never had the cap fall off. I use standard Remington #11 most of the time or the ones from Europe in the red box. Whatever is on sale at the Winter Nationals and I stock up for the year.

I'm having an underhammer built and I opted to order musket cap nipples. Hopefully, the larger caps will be easier to handle.

Jimbo

jimbo15563 said:
I'm having an underhammer built and I opted to order musket cap nipples. Hopefully, the larger caps will be easier to handle.

Jimbo

I hope you've a good set of welder's sleeves, them musket caps can sting yuh purdy hard. :surrender:

Atleast you will never starve...Have you thought
of "Musket Caps"???Change nipples and use bigger
bratwurst caps..Just my opion based on no facts
at all...

Back