• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion sharps caliber change ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't hear of many people getting really excited about paper cartridge Sharps rifles , also known for very finicky ignition. The original musket caps were apparently much hotter.

Most people prefer any of the various 45-70 Sharps if they want a Sharps rifle and from my experience, having owned a .54 Pedersoli Sharps Infantry rifle.....just making paper cartridges for front stuffer rifle-muskets is far easier and more reliable. I'd bet if I went head to head with a paper cartridge Sharps shooter with my Enfield musketoon using Pritchett cartridges, our rate of fire would be nearly identical with the Sharps shooter maybe having a slight edge.

I have a Pedersoli .54 Sharps carbine - had the breech work done - no gas leaks and it shoots great. Use loose powder, Navy load, or Hahn tubes. Can't see why anyone would want to change the caliber. Lot of work, lot of money for no gain.
20181127_184247.jpg

Think I have the "used" one of which you speak. Friend gave me a IAB sharps; said it was leaking gas. I shot it and felt the hot gas hit my forehead and slice across the top of my head. The gas from the bottom of the block scorched the towel I was using as a rag. Nothing caught on fire though. Anyway, friend wouldn't take the rifle back. Sleeve is seized and the breech is gas cut. Bore doesn't look too good. So recommend shooting a used one first if you can. Betsy's and half pints look good to me.

Tobee that IAB or any other Sharps can be repaired so that it will not leak and will go off every time. Here is a link to a man that is the go-to Sharps man in the N-SSA. I recomend him and trust him enough that I sent my brand new engraved Shilo carbine to him for some rework.

http://www.hahnmachineworks.com/

Another who does some magic with leaking breach blocks is Larry Flees however I only have what is susposed to be his phone number and do not know how he modifies the breech block.

Phone 1-231-342-0821.

When properly set up the Sharps is regarded as the fastest carbine in the N-SSA to load and fire.

Last edited:
Tobee that IAB or any other Sharps can be repaired so that it will not leak and will go off every time. Here is a link to a man that is the go-to Sharps man in the N-SSA. I recomend him and trust him enough that I sent my brand new engraved Shilo carbine to him for some rework.

Another who does some magic with leaking breach blocks is Larry Flees however I only have what is susposed to be his phone number and do not know how he modifies the breech block.

Phone 1-231-342-0821.

When properly set up the Sharps is regarded as the fastest carbine in the N-SSA to load and fire.
I have the Flees modification which fixes the chamber sleeve (meaning it no longer moves or comes out), replaces the breech block plate and installs an o-ring. Charlie Hahn fixes the breech block plate and modifies the chamber sleeve into a two piece unit using an 0-ring. Kind of opposite approaches but both work. With Hahn tubes it's like shooting fixed ammo.

Phone 1-231-342-0821.

Thank you Hawkeye.

Tobee and Carbon 6 you are quite welcome and I hope the information was helpful. The Sharps was probably the most common Union Calvary carbine and is an icon as well as having a deserved reputation for accuracy.

I shoot a .54 Pedersoli sporter with the Hahn modification. It performs very well. I use his tubes and a Lee ringtail bullet. It's a very accurate rifle.

I don't hear of many people getting really excited about paper cartridge Sharps rifles , also known for very finicky ignition. The original musket caps were apparently much hotter.

Most people prefer any of the various 45-70 Sharps if they want a Sharps rifle and from my experience, having owned a .54 Pedersoli Sharps Infantry rifle.....just making paper cartridges for front stuffer rifle-muskets is far easier and more reliable. I'd bet if I went head to head with a paper cartridge Sharps shooter with my Enfield musketoon using Pritchett cartridges, our rate of fire would be nearly identical with the Sharps shooter maybe having a slight edge.

I have a Shiloh 1863 Military Rifle, and I can get off 8 aimed shots in a minute. Try as I might, I couldn't get close to that with a rifle musket. And I don't have to stand up to reload. I would imagine that Sharps users in the Civil war took some comfort in that. A small unit of Berdan's Sharpshooters held off a vastly larger Southern force at Gettysburg. Among that force was the 15th Alabama, a crack unit led by a brilliant officer, Colonel William Oates. The high rate of fire and the accuracy of the Sharps was credited with the small Union force being able to hold off Colonel Oates' unit. Colonel Oates himself remarked about this. I'll take his word for it. And my Sharps doesn't have any problems regarding ignition reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear that it isn't such a bad rifle after all.

Glad to hear that it isn't such a bad rifle after all.
I can only speak to the Shiloh rifle. The 1863 Military rifle just feels good in the hand and offers a safe and reliable arm for hunting, target shooting or even just plinking. It offers a lot of power with very little recoil. The ballistic performance can be close to a standard .45-70 load. It is a fun rifle and relatively inexpensive to shoot. I don't see why the less expensive versions can't be made reliable too. The modifications aren't that costly.

I can only speak to the Shiloh rifle. The 1863 Military rifle just feels good in the hand and offers a safe and reliable arm for hunting, target shooting or even just plinking. It offers a lot of power with very little recoil. The ballistic performance can be close to a standard .45-70 load. It is a fun rifle and relatively inexpensive to shoot. I don't see why the less expensive versions can't be made reliable too. The modifications aren't that costly.
I also have a Shiloh Sharps rifle. Is the gas check on the Shiloh the same as the Italian versions?

In order to keep the gas check in my rifle from getting too fouled to move, I fill the cavity with white lithium grease. With the grease in the cavity, I can shoot all day. Opening and closing the breech is as easy on the last shot as it is on the first shot.

I modified a small wheel puller to take the gas check out for cleaning. So, overall, cleaning the Sharps isn't not much more involved than with a front-stuffer.

I also have a Shiloh Sharps rifle. Is the gas check on the Shiloh the same as the Italian versions?

In order to keep the gas check in my rifle from getting too fouled to move, I fill the cavity with white lithium grease. With the grease in the cavity, I can shoot all day. Opening and closing the breech is as easy on the last shot as it is on the first shot.

I modified a small wheel puller to take the gas check out for cleaning. So, overall, cleaning the Sharps isn't not much more involved than with a front-stuffer.

I'm not familiar with the various other Sharps. I use a little lube on the breech block and it remains smooth and easy to use for many shots. Cleaning is quick and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm.
Living over here the -59/-63 is the only permit exempt version available to us so i opted to take a little different,more scenic,route.
Now. Mind you. I keep a basically complete workshop since my racing days why lathes,bridgeports,TIG welders and what not isn´t an issue.
Ditto for high end materials.
Anyways. Leakage. Yep. Check...

23.jpg

That thing there..wut? Well..

29.jpg

I made cartridges out of shrink sleeve in short. "end caps" out of curling paper glued to the shrink sleeve.
Have pulled this stunt for a French made Chassepot previously,where the sealed chamber of that rifle basically leaves the chamber clean after firing,while with the Sharps due to the breech leaking...well,not so much.
Idea works it´s just that you have to clean the chamber out by hand for each shot,removing the remaining shrink sleeve.
So. That idea hit the bin.

47.jpg

So. To hell with it. That there is 28ga shotshell brass. Trimmed that and in turn made a tool to crimp the entries of them.

57.jpg

These rifles carry a chamber insert. In some these inserts are floating,in others they´re not. In the case of this approx 30" barrel rifle..not. So barrel tossed into the lathe and a short while later..insert gone gone gone..to be replaced by that there in the pic. Insert is made out of SIS 2541 Swedish tool room steel. In short it´ll take ANYTHING you toss at it.

61.jpg

Right. New insert in place,and with the formed 28ga brass inserted. Note the small cutout high left,which is the "extractor point". To keep at least some with the original idea i just use a small screwdriver to yank the fired cartridges out of there.

68.jpg

Indeed the bullets used since is more or less all so called ringtails. Got this mold produced by LEE off of e-Bay,some enthusiast marketing the thing. Casts rather true to the original slugs alright.

62.jpg

So? What gives here? Turning an insert like this is simple enough and i´ve glued mine in place. Loctite´s cylindrical fastening. Works great! What can i say? Fitting is imperative though,and comes down to having your numbers in order. Leakage has been stopped dead in its tracks,and the original Conant seal (the floating piece of the breech block) still does service seeing that i use it as a percussion cap rifle still. Ie;the primer pockets of them 28ga shells are left open and thus the rifle is still legal,albeit sporting brass cartridges.
What this has brought is basically a very powerful 54-120 cartridge rifle,and one that´s rather accurate to boot.
To the point where i´ve fabbed an optics rail for it even,which can be equipped with whatever glass wanted really.
Main point being that the rifle´s accurate at distances my 54yr old eyes are not. So...

64.jpg

Here the tool to "crimp" the cartridges. Have started working on a "regular" set of loading dies to make the whole thing happen on my progressive eventually,but that there suffice for now at least.

76.jpg

Here fellow club member and friend,Stefan,putting the thing through its paces. Looks a bit awkward with that compact upon there but..whatever makes me see the target.
Now.
That brought forward a different issue,cause that there optics sufficed for let´s say 300 meters and the issue is that the rifle will make that and then some with ease. So..it being up the wall or not i´ve opted to,for now,hand it a tube that hands me 16x,which suffice at 600.

Down the road i´ll find me a 10x or 12x Unertl or Litschert to toss ontop of it.

Latest posts

Back