• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion pistol build question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie2002

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm building a .50 caliber smooth bore percussion pistol and have a question about the nipple drum. Should it be supported on the bottom by the lock plate? I'm asking because all of the factory fire arms I've seen have a small gap between the bottom of the nipple drum and top of the lock plate.
Thanks

Ideally it should be supported. But not to the point of binding because too much upward pressure would be as bad as too much hammering from the top during firing. It’s just not practical to have tolerences that tight in mass production guns.

Lyman recommends the small gap. [page36, illustration, in section 'instructions for Lyman assembly kits' in the Lyman User's Guide for Black Powder...' It is explained very well in an earlier post … but I don't remember where. Polecat

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm just starting to inlet the lock plate and will set it up with some solid support for the nipple barrel. I've made a few rock locks but this is my first "stuff laying around the shop" parts build for a cap lock.

Lyman recommends the small gap. [page36, illustration, in section 'instructions for Lyman assembly kits' in the Lyman User's Guide for Black Powder...' It is explained very well in an earlier post … but I don't remember where. Polecat
I think Lyman's instructions are for a gun with a snail type breech. Not for a barrel mounted drum which screws into the wall of the barrel.

With a snail type breech, the entire breech plug which is firmly screwed into the rear of the barrel, can take the blows of the hammer falling on the nipple without a problem.
With a side mounted drum that is screwed into the barrel the only thing that takes the impact of the falling hammer is the relatively small threads on the drum.
These threads are often as small as a 5/16-24 thread and to make matters worse from a stress standpoint, they have 1/8" hole going thru the center.
That is why it is imperative that the side drum is solidly supported by the lock plate, when the barrel is installed in the stock.
I do agree with the others that the fit of the drum with the lock plate should not keep the barrel from seating fully into the barrel channel so, this does take some careful hand fitting to get it right.

Great , thanks for all the replies. I've lined the drum up to rest on the side plate and will fine tune it once the lock plate is fully inletted. Doing all the inletting with hand chisels so it's going to take a few weeks getting it right.

Proofed the barrel with the drum installed over the weekend with 70 grains of 3F and two patched round balls. Wired it to a 2x6 and buried it in a slit trench covered with a piece of diamond plate weighted down with fire wood, touched it off with cannon fuse with no damage and a lot of smoke.

Back