• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

percussion assembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiser96

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i finally was able to take my rifle barrel from the stock today. looking at the hammer assembly it looks dirty with a little bit of rust on it. any suggestions on what i should soak it in and how long.

I'll assume that you are talking about the lock. If so if it's very light rust almost any oil or solvent will work. If it's fairly heavy or stubborn try PB-Blaster that is available at Auto Zone and Tractor Supply for two. It will keep future rust at bay as well. What ever you use give it time to loosen the rust. I try to seal the lock area as well as I can and use paste wax to put the final touch as it doesn't show. Geo. T.

I use brake cleaner to spray and get all the old gummy oil and dirt out, dry it well and re-lube the internals.
Maintainance needs to be done on the lock and triggers as well as the barrel.
While your at it take the trigger(s) out and do those too, :wink:

Back