• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Per ML's Schuetzen & Swiss buttplate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was ther ever any PER ML's with Schuetzen or Swiss type buttplates? If so , what period in time? thanks

Yes, there were many American-made percussion Schuetzen rifles made & I'm sure 99% of them would have had some form of what is refered to as a Swiss-buttplate. Many, but not all, of the makers were either German or Swiss migrants. Their hey-day was from the 1840s-1860s, but lingered on to the 1880s alongside the later cartridge rifles (both Breech & Muzzle Loaders). I used to have a nice .38 caliber Schuetzen rifle made by "Beutter Bros." od Meriden Connecticut which had a single prong buttplate. There is an excellent book out currently entitled 'The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle" which would be well worth a look.
Go to this GunBroker.con link & you'll get an idea of what it contains:[url] http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=62600028[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: Yes there were those "hook" buttplates being used with regular BP. Prior to the advent of the cartridge case many matches were shot, in Europe, using percussion rifles designed for target shooting that used the hook for offhand matches. While we were conquering this country, the Europeans were a bit more sophisticated in their target matches and Schuetzen fests. Here in America we were forging a new country---European countries were in existence man years before the colonization of America. However ca. 1880's---1900's with the advent of black powder cartridge rifles and the beginnings of modern Hi power & long range rifle shooting (i.e. Schuetzen & Creedmore matches ) became the period where these types of equipped rifles were built. The true Schuetzen Rifles used this type of buttplate for the off-hand matches---along with palm rests and set triggers. The long range match rifles used for the Creedmore style matches, did not use the hook buttplate or palm rests, as these matches were essentially prone matches. For other styles of long range matches the development of the cross-sticks in the prone or sitting positions. We could converse on this wonderful field of shooting for hours on end. :hatsoff:

Did they also use this style buttplate on flintlocks? I came across article that made me think that they did? Swiss??

ss1 said:
Did they also use this style buttplate on flintlocks?
Like this?
swiss_flintlock_oa.jpg

David

Very nice picture!! Did they have a special "thing" to stand them in while loading, to keep from breaking off the tips of buttplate?

Back