• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polishing the bore on a new ML.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas. I've read a few posts where members recommend polishing the bore on new ML. Well, I have two new ones that I am soon to try out. To my understanding, polishing the bore will help reduce the break-in time and I'm all for that one. So, this thread is intended to be a knowledge gathering thread on the subject of polishing a bore on a ML. Before I engage in this process, I would like to get as much information as possible from you all on procedures, products used, which direction the wind should be blowing (well not really that one) and any other tips that might help.

Thanks.

If it loads smoothly and recovered patches are not cut, I’d not bother. The crown usually needs work. I use the Daryl method. Get some 150 grit wet or dry sandpaper , hold the barrel upright, place the paper over the muzzle and stick your thumb in hard and rotate. Turn the barrel 90 degrees and repeat. Go around a couple times changing paper as needed. Repeat with 240 and 320 paper. Now when you slap the ball in with the short starter it will not cut the patch on the way down.

I would not worry about it until after you have loaded and fired them for quite a few rounds. Make sure your loading procedure is the same each time, find a good patch / ball combo and work on your powder charge. I have fired quite a few new guns over the last few years, and none have had a barrel that needed polished after I was done working through developing a load. I have smoothed the crown on a couple to prevent patch cutting.

I would not worry about it until after you have loaded and fired them for quite a few rounds. Make sure your loading procedure is the same each time, find a good patch / ball combo and work on your powder charge. I have fired quite a few new guns over the last few years, and none have had a barrel that needed polished after I was done working through developing a load. I have smoothed the crown on a couple to prevent patch cutting.
Lee Shaver World title ML competitor/renowned Gun smith builder ,says other wise ! Hi s method is used on every gun he builds/shoots . He mentioned one that he built ,never fired and went to the match an cleaned every ones clock All top end competitors ! A gentlemen no longer on on the Modern MZ (Highly respected) chatted with Lee and was given permission to post what Lee said for free what Lee said was customers paid big bucks for one of his smiths to do exactly this bore treatment before shooting . Saves wasting lead/powder too!! You might do a search over there before opining/Ed

I've had great luck using thin strips of the maroon 3M pads on an undersize bore brush. Followed up by a series of tight patches soaked with Flitz or Semicrome polish. This has worked on ML and centerfire alike.

I have never done anything to a new barrel, but a used gun is a different story. Have gotten many used barrels that benefited from a good “polishing” with some Scotchbrite. I can’t say for sure that they shot demonstrably better, but they cleaned up easier afterward.

It is NEVER a bad idea to polish your bore before shooting. Some say "you're wasting your time, just shoot it." It may well save time, headaches, and generally will clean easier if done, in my opinion. I have not polished every barrel that I've owned, but have noticed benefits in the ones that I did. That being said, it's fun to get out and shoot, for sure!

Just came in from shooting my new Crocket Rifle. It appears to be accurate. Recovered only one out of 5 patches. So I think I'll leave it as is for now anyway.

Still have my .54 GPR to go.

Is this considered a cut patch?

B47721FD-42FD-4EE4-819E-25A99E8E4D41.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a GPR that sliced patches. Put some pieces of green scotchbrite on a sub caliber jag and just worked it a couple hundred times. Loading became smoother and patches stayed intact. Some barrels need it, but most don't. Each is unique.

Ive "birthed" four GPRs and every one of them were serious patch slicers. Same with the Spanish barrels and also had a GM that was a cutter.

Those were all very good barrels once they were firelapped.

That's interesting to hear. The mass manufactured rifles are for most part, OK but need attention to realize their potential. A rough bore can be a deterrent to a new shooter who struggles to get the ball down the bore and can't get them to group from shredded patches.

I need to sight in a recently completed Lancaster with a Colerain (round bottom grooves) .54 barrel. It will be the first of that type of rifling I've had.

That's interesting to hear. The mass manufactured rifles are for most part, OK but need attention to realize their potential. A rough bore can be a deterrent to a new shooter who struggles to get the ball down the bore and can't get them to group from shredded patches.

I need to sight in a recently completed Lancaster with a Colerain (round bottom grooves) .54 barrel. It will be the first of that type of rifling I've had.
I've been very happy with my round bottom grooved Colerain.
YMMV

I have a rebore that is as rough as a cob, scotch bright pads followed by Jb bore paste and bore shine made it better but it took coning an undersized bore to make it shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards.

My next project is a GM drop-in for TC that is very rough loading after just a few shots.

Hey fellas. I've read a few posts where members recommend polishing the bore on new ML. Well, I have two new ones that I am soon to try out. To my understanding, polishing the bore will help reduce the break-in time and I'm all for that one. So, this thread is intended to be a knowledge gathering thread on the subject of polishing a bore on a ML. Before I engage in this process, I would like to get as much information as possible from you all on procedures, products used, which direction the wind should be blowing (well not really that one) and any other tips that might help.

Thanks.
fire lap

Duelist1954 had a youtube on bore polishing because he only got 2/3 shots before he had to run a cleaning patch. I got COVID in December so I got some red scotch pads from ACE hardware and used one inch square patches with small jag, ran several patches up and down 250 times. Went out to shoot. Used to have to run a cleaning patch every second shot. Now I make it through 7 before using a cleaning patch. At least something good happened during my COVID. If I find the youtube video I'll link it here.

Latest posts

Back