• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pepperboxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just curious at this point, but why do we only see single shots and revolvers from the modern repro makers? Apparently, during the time between their invention and the Civil War, peppers were the most popular and numerous of belly guns.

Is it a cost thing or is something else at play? I think some of those old Allen pepperboxes are very nice and I'd much admire to have one.

Dixie and the Possibles Shop (probably others) sell a pepperbox kit made by Classic Arms. I have no idea how good or bad the gun is. I read somewhere that Classic Arms is no longer making them, so the kits may disappear soon.

Good luck. :grin:

However, I am not sure why you want one. Mark Twain had this to say about the Allen pepperbox:

George Bemis . . . wore in his belt an old original "Allen" revolver, such as irreverent people called a "pepper-box." Simply drawing the trigger back, cocked and fired the pistol. As the trigger came back, the hammer would begin to rise and the barrel to turn over, and presently down would drop the hammer, and away would speed the ball. To aim along the turning barrel and hit the thing aimed at was a feat which was probably never done with an "Allen" in the world. But George's was a reliable weapon, nevertheless, because, as one of the stage-drivers afterward said, "If she didn't get what she went after, she would fetch something else." And so she did. She went after a deuce of spades nailed against a tree, once, and fetched a mule standing about thirty yards to the left of it. Bemis did not want the mule; but the owner came out with a double-barreled shotgun and persuaded him to buy it, anyhow. It was a cheerful weapon--the "Allen." Sometimes all its six barrels would go off at once, and then there was no safe place in all the region round about, but behind it.
:rotf: :rotf:

I once had one of the Ethan Allen pepperbox repro's and just never could get it to fire reliable, it just wouldn't pop a cap. I took it apart and installed a much heavier main spring which gave it a bear of a trigger pull but it still wouldn't pop a cap. I think it was cursed, it's the only percussion gun I ever tinkered with which I could not get to work.
The main downside, if you get one which works, is that they are quite heavy and there is no way to aim. Of course it doesn't do much good to aim if the gun won't fire. :haha:

If you are considering a pepperbox, don't even THINK about the "Classic Arms" offering. From my experience with their products, the pepperbox was or is a huge steamin' pile of #@#$%!!! :cursing: :rotf: :rotf:

The Classic Arms pepperbox is a large pile of fecal matter. I would have said Dog Fecal matter but I didn't want to insult the dog.

Generally speaking, yes the pepperboxes during the 1830-1850 period were very popular.
That is primarily due to the fact that they were the only inexpensive multi shot pistol available.

Working against them was the heavy muzzle weight and the lack of sights.
Chain fire's were very common.

One of the interesting things about them is that some of them were the first successful double action guns which would fire as fast as the shooter could pull the trigger.
Then again, as I mentioned, chain fires could fire them even faster without the double action trigger. :rotf:

Thanks Gents. Looks like I'll just keep my eye out for an original. Ya never know....

I didn't realize about the chain fires. As to aiming, like a lot of other guns of the period, they were probably meant to pretty much be a 'contact or nearly so' weapon?

Interesting guns though, if you discount Col. Whelen. :haha:

Nobody has ever made a good reproduction of a pepperbox in my opinion. Some of the original makes were very high quality and would be worthy of recreation.

Zonie said:
The Classic Arms pepperbox is a large pile of fecal matter. I would have said Dog Fecal matter but I didn't want to insult the dog.
One of the interesting things about them is that some of them were the first successful double action guns which would fire as fast as the shooter could pull the trigger.
Then again, as I mentioned, chain fires could fire them even faster without the double action trigger. :rotf:

dang! never seen Zonie so incensed ... they really must be a PoS!!
Never had one, but their reputation is consistent with his assessment.

As to aiming, like a lot of other guns of the period, they were probably meant to pretty much be a 'contact or nearly so' weapon?

I believe you are correct that pepperboxes were intended to be "near-contact" defense weapons. If they failed to fire, at least you had the option of thumping the daylights out of your adversary with that big ol' barrel cluster.

Glad you won't waste any more of your irreplaceable time even thinking about the Classics Arms scrap. Even calling it fecal matter might be an upgrade. :rotf:

Here's a pepper box!

pepperbox.jpg

SJoe said:
Dixie and the Possibles Shop (probably others) sell a pepperbox kit made by Classic Arms. I have no idea how good or bad the gun is. I read somewhere that Classic Arms is no longer making them, so the kits may disappear soon. Good luck. :grin:
I built one of the Classic Arms kit a few years ago; sold it right away at a rendezvous without ever shooting it. While I did some minor mods to the pistol, the trigger pull was very heavy and it was clumsy looking, IMHO. I have an original Allen and Thurber, and IMO, it looks much more sleek in design if that is possible. :rotf:

Never had one of their pepperboxes, but I have two of their SnakeEyes two shot derringers. They fire fairly reliably, where they hit, well, that's another matter. Biggest problem is there is no half cock notch...more like a half-cock sear.

Yah.
The Classic Arms Ace, Cutlass, Duckfoot and Snake Eyes do shoot but I'll stand by my comment about their Pepperbox.

I just hope that while standing there I don't put my foot in it. :grin:

Back