• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Penetration test for RB n Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. The PRB kills by making a massive, large diameter, primary wound channel. The modern HIGH VEOLOCITY, Center fire rifle cartridge kill by distrupting tissue and blood in the primary wound channel, while destroying massive amounts of tissue in the Secondary wound channel caused by hydrostatic shock. That is cause by the shock wave and vacuum that follows behind the bullet into the primary would channel, sucking blood and fluids from surrounding tissue to cause shock, and severe blood loss. Blood Pressure usually drops dramatically within seconds resulting in the animal becoming unconscious within a few seconds. If the heart is deprived of oxygen for 15 seconds, it generally begins to stop beating, and consciousness ends.

hydrostatic shock power . hmm what type of center fire would produce hydrostatic ?
maybe a water cannon, You need fluid to produce "hydrostatic pressure"

Woodhick said:
hydrostatic shock power . hmm what type of center fire would produce hydrostatic ?
maybe a water cannon, You need fluid to produce "hydrostatic pressure"

The term hydrostatic shock when used in the context of terminal ballistics discussions, refers to the effect of the energy impact to the fluid systems 'inside' the target, be it man or beast.

The massive energy transfer of a .30-06 SP for example, to a soft tissue target creates pressures that flow back away from the imapct area, ie: the pressure on blood in blood vessels produces a hydraulic effect within their walls when the impact occurs.

Same principle as when you shoot a projectile into a jug of water, the water erupts/expands in every direction away from the impact area, disrupting things in it's path, etc...all the fluids inside a soft tissue target react in a similar manner.

That's referred to as hydrostatic shock...normally a beneficial result of high speed, high energy projectiles which contributes to the over all disabling effects on the target.

Round balls at ML velocities have very low energy levels compared to CF cartridges of course, and create virtually no or little hydrostatic shock within a target, no or little collateral damage, so shot placement is more critical to ensure vitals are penetrated/cut, like a broadhead would do.

I see. I am going to the range this afternoon with a few friends and will try shooting a gallon jug full of water with a 7mm mag and then a gallon jug with a PRB 50 cal and see which one is blow up the worst. Interesting

My 45 doing some damage on a gallon of water and a nice log. 70 grains T7 and a 225 powerbelt. My new hunting load[url] http://s96.photobucket.com/al...nder/?action=view&current=Picture001.flv[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The bullet hits flesh. Water will not compress, so the water in the body has to move out of the way of the bullets path. The water can not move fast enough, so a shock wave several times the diameter of the bullet is pushed in front of the bullet by the water. You get a fist sized hole where the bullet exits. This is the shock value being discussed. Add in some other pressure effects, and you have a picture of how a .22 caliber bullet rips a fist size hole in a coyote when fired at high speeds. If you shot a 50 roundball made out of pure lead into a deer at 3000, the effects of pressure would be dramatic!

I shot a grapefruit with my .50 at a demonstration shoot at a local Boy Scout Camp, and had a center hit. The star burst was spectacular. The largest piece of " humpty Dumpty " the kids found was smaller than a teaspoon. Any time I read Toby Bridges knocking the PRB as a hunting projectile, I just remember that deomonstration and the reaction of the kids, and their scout leaders ot what they saw, and shake my head.

Well I shot 2 gallon jugs. One with a 7 MM Mag. handloaded with 53.2 gr of IMR 4350, 150 gr SN boattail spitzer. The other jug was shot with .490 PRB with 80gr of 3fff .
Both jugs were filled with water and placed at 50 yd. down range.
The first was shot with the centerfire rifle. It exploded the jug quiet well and the back side of the jug left a hole about 2 inch in dia.
The second jug was shot with the front stuffer.
It was really impressive as to the exit hole it made. It was closer to 3.5 inches.
several non muzzleloader shooters were wide eyed when they seen what it had done.
Some even said they may have to get one and start shooting it.
I told them what ever they do get a traditional style and not the 209 primer style as they were no more than a hand loaded centerfire.
So maybe this simple test has got a few more people into our sport. I hope so.

Latest posts

Back