• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul R

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry, I had intended this to go with the other thread on peep sights - Or maybe it should have been in Building.
Here are some images of how I altered a TC Hawken rear sight to a tang mount peep sight. Disassemble the sight, and then file or grind the back of the v to vertical, instead of angled back. Then prepare a piece of brass to be the peep holder, or ghost ring, if not tapped for the peep threads. The brass piece is then soft soldered, or maybe epoxied to the back of the altered v sight. The sight can now be re-assembled. The new peep is carefully filed or ground ( I used the end of my belt sander)so the bottom of the base matches the angle or curve of the tang. It now requires new holes to be drilled & tapped into the tang for the new peep. HC-PC it is not, but a relatively cheap peep with windage & elevation adjustments. If you use a straight edge to predetermine the approximate height of the center of the peep as you build it, you may not have to alter, or replace, the front sight. Don't ask me how I know.
Paul
gun%20sight%20004_zpsnsnkntuo.jpg
[/URL][/img]
gun%20sight%20002_zpsfrfp9ii3.jpg
[/URL][/img]
gun%20sight%20003_zps8h1h1chs.jpg
[/URL][/img]
gun%20sight%20004_zpsnsnkntuo.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I see that I managed to omit one picture & duplicate a 2nd.
The view from the top makes the sight appear crooked. That is not the case, the stock design is not symmetrical at that spot. The design is one that I can not show on this site.
gun%20sight%20001_zpst9x172rn.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Very innovative, as far as alignment the best thing to do is leave the rear sight in place when setting position of the peep sight. This way one can set the peep at its mid way setting and align the horizontal plane of both sights before drilling the holes for installation. Once in place the peep should only require minor adjustments for sighting zero. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure, but I think these have been a less desirable sight & there should be a lot of them around for a good price. Isn't that what drives a lot of us to do some creative thinking?
To borrow a phrase from Semisane, Mine is on a gun with good whompability.
Paul

Nice job Moose. I have recently installed Williams WGRS peep sights on a couple flintlocks for hunting here in PA, but I like yours better.

Now that is a neat idea. Can you provide another pic from directly behind it? How thick is the brass that you used for the peep?

Charlie, it is about 1/8" thick. I used a mounting tab from a cast brass plumbing fitting I found in a junk drawer. I filed it smooth, drilled & tapped it for a removable peep insert, then cut it off & filed it to a shape I thought looked about right. The rear quartering shot gives a pretty look at what I did. This was a quick & dirty job that was only concerned with function. That it turned out so well surprised me too. How you shape yours is up to you.
That tapped hole makes a pretty good ghost ring, but it could be drilled for any size fixed peep you want. Just remember, the smaller the peep, the more light required to see your target. YRMV
Paul

Back