• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight on a LH GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
From the pics I cannot tell if the model 57gpr peep sight will work on a Left handed GPR cap gun? Was also wondering about changing the front sight to the white dot style Lyman offers. Will they work in combination with eachother? If anyone thas this set up left or right comments would be greatly appreciated.

WI Smoke :confused:

YOu should be able to screw the aperature on the peep sight in on the other side, and simply mount the base of the sight on the right side of the barrel/breech. I would not think a white bead front site would be the best sight to use in conjunction with a peep sight. I have a large white bead on a shotgun barrel, and its best use is when I shoot at night, at clay target events. During the day, it practically disappears against the sky. It might have some use in the early morning hours, or right at dusk for deer hunting, but I think there are better front sights for that, too.

I have one mounted on my left had Lyman GP 50 cal percussion. It works great. As Paul said, the white dot is not the best for day time use. I've tried it and switched back to the standard GPR front sight.

Joel Lehman,
Austin TX

how is the peep for hunting in low light (dawn, dusk, overcast etc.), does it let enough light through? I'm also a trad bowhunter (I love my longbows :grin: ) But alot of my buddies that shoot compounds are always complaining about not being able to see through their peeps during low light conditions.

Josh

When the light gets low, just unscrew the aperture and zip in a pocket (easy to lose). You won't even notice the rear sight. Just did that this evening on a snowshoe hare hunt. Couldn't see the sight at all, but unscrewed the aperture and everything was fine.

captaincaveman said:
BrownBear said:
When the light gets low, just unscrew the aperture and zip in a pocket (easy to lose). You won't even notice the rear sight. Just did that this evening on a snowshoe hare hunt. Couldn't see the sight at all, but unscrewed the aperture and everything was fine.
was it still accurate that way? and if so, why not just leave the aperture at home so you won't lose it :grin: . Sorry for the dumb questions but I have no experience with peeps and am thinking about getting one on a GPR kit

Josh

Josh

For hunting I leave the aperture at home. I agree with Captaincaveman. Why take the chance of losing it. You look through a peep sight, not at it. You eye will center the front sight just as well with the larger ring as it will that small hole in the aperture you use when doing work off the bench at targets. I drill the holes larger on my apertures, anyway, as they are too small to be much use to my eyes, anyway. But I remove the aperture when I go into the field.

I had a 57SML on my Lyman Deerstalker and just didn't like it for hunting. Too many years with with the old iron sights. I really like the white front sight with the the open sights, or the 57SML. I filed mine a little thinner than it was, and like it as much as my wifes fiber optic. I have shot most of my Deer first thing in the morning, or just at sundown, and the white sight works great.

I have a T?C peep on my New Englander. The gunsmith that installed it gave me a large aperture ring that is lined in brass that is almost the same size as the hole it screws into. The brass really makes a difference in how well you can see in low light conditions. I am sure you could get one from Brownells or other gunsmith supply if intested.

I have the 57 peep on my GPR cap lock. It came with two sizes of aperture. I use the larger one for hunting and it works well
Old Charlie

captaincaveman said:
captaincaveman said:
BrownBear said:
was it still accurate that way? and if so, why not just leave the aperture at home so you won't lose it :grin: . Sorry for the dumb questions but I have no experience with peeps and am thinking about getting one on a GPR kit

Josh

Josh

When I first started using peep sights I used to throw the aperature away, can't say as I ever missed one. :v Now the only peep I have hasn't been mounted on a rifle, it is still in the box, aperature intact. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back