• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PEEP ON A LH GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking to install a peep type sight on my LH Great PLains Rifle but the Lyman model 57 looks like the hammer will get in the way. What is the best course of action to get a good peep style sight on this gun?
Thanks to all in advance!!!
WI Smoke

You might want to look at the v-peep at[url] rmcsports.com[/url]. i have them on my LH flint and percussion GPRs. They replace the front sight and the rear, installation is very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Lyman GPR in left hand cap and have the lyman 57 mounted and have no problems

Don S

How well does the 57GPR work for hunting. Will it be to hard to see thru it in low light?
From the pics. in the Lyman manual it looks like the hammer will get in the way of the sight.
WI

Can the Lyman 57SML be reversed to mount on the right side of a LH Lyman?

SDUVE
It should be the 57GPR not the 57SML on the Great Plains Rifle. But that is not really here nor there. You asked the question I need to know, Can I switch it around to mount on the RIGHT SIDE?
WI

WI Smoke said:
SDUVE
It should be the 57GPR not the 57SML on the Great Plains Rifle. But that is not really here nor there. You asked the question I need to know, Can I switch it around to mount on the RIGHT SIDE?
WI
I meant to include both sights. I have never seen either and my son is looking at buying a GPR or Deerstalker in LH version. He plans on a 57SML but not if it will interfer with the lock.

The Lyman receiver sights work very well for hunting and target shooting.
I've had a Lyman 66 on my Marlin 336 .35 Remington for almost 30 years of hunting, I prefer it to a scope or open sight.
On thing a lot of guys who use these sights do is use the sight disk for range work only and unscrew the sight disk for hunting. I havn't had the sight disk out of the box in years.
This is called a 'ghost ring' (the original use of the term ghost ring). Your eye naturally centers the front sight in the fuzzy ring and you can hit what you aim without really thinking about it.
The ghost ring is more accurate then an open sight, I used to get 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards with the Marlin with open sights and 2+- with a receiver sight.
It's almost like a shotgun.
Good luck.
Check your states rules. In Pa we can use a receiver sight in the normal deer season or special regulations area season but have to use an open sight for the late muzzle loader season.

Back