• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli's petite derringers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naphtali

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Pedersoli manufactures two derringers, Philadelphia (near copy of the Lincoln assassination pistol) and Liège. Both pistols are percussion cap lock single shot. Both shoot .452-inch projectiles. The Philadelphia derringer is a muzzleloader. The Liège is a screw barrel "breechloader."

Anyone who owns and shoots either, anyone who has shot one a bit - please describe their shooting quality and lawyer-independent power.
FYI: Neither derringer has the slightest resemblance to the cheaply made, dramatically oversized Spanish pistol "called" a derringer. So please avoid comparisons and experiences that include the Spanish pistol.

I fired a friend’s Pedersoli a few times. It”¦ shoots like a derringer, which is to say ”“ is reliable at point blank range and not much more. That’s what they were meant for, though.

Had the derringer 25-30 yrs back. Look an shot fine but being into accuracy I sold it. Had a cabelas derringer in a book. Screw off barrel to load. Couldnt get enough powder in her to not send the ball back at me shooting a tree or plywood. Fun. Son thought it cool and has it now.

NO accuracy should be expected in either. You'll get lucky once in awhile but they are both "belly" guns in my opinion

Came close to getting one of their Philly Derringers but when I went to get one at Cabelas I saw they changed to some ugly looking CHEAP stamped checkering on the grips. They used to have a far better looking crisscross pattern on them.

The Liege looks pretty cool, but supposedly they are incredibly underpowered and would be of no use for defense. If I bought one I'd want to use it for defense because honestly they are useless for target shooting of any kind.

At a nondescript event (birthday bash), several years ago a friend brought a Liege for our entertainment.
Several of the ladies and others not familiar with BP guns where encouraged to shoot the "derringer".
Conditions that late summer afternoon where just right for making smoke.
You could almost see the ball leaving the barrel. From a side view, because of the air conditions you could follow the smoke trail from the muzzle to the target (or should I say down range),, a twisting trail of smoke dropping 3 feet or so in a 20' distance.
The challenge we all had as the evening went on was to try to hit a water filled milk jugs and soda bottles at 20',,
It was fun.
More misses then hit's until we figured out the hold over

So it's reasonable to deduce that the mechanically interesting Liège is useless as a firearm. The Philadelphia derringer might be useful as a true belly gun if it can safely accept a sufficiently stiff powder-ball load? Or can it accept a double ball load - which might metamorphose it to very effective, or a grenade?

It would do as a belly gun. But for personal protection why not a 1911? Took awhile to kill Lincoln even with a brain shot, a shot to the belly or chest (if it misses the ribs) would not slow down a serious attack too much?

The screw on barrel, :shake:

Although I am not recommending I think the powder area in the leige could be enlarged I have seen it done between that and 777 you can get it up to packing a punch

Saw an original gun in this style in 10 gauge once I always thought packed with large bird it small buck it would be an interesting load if the overshot card would hold the load in from the back end

:shocked2: 10GA derringer? If not enlarged it wouldn't move the load outta the barrel, anyways you get first shot :surrender: . Also dont recommend alterations of any manufactured firearm to allow more powder etc :nono:

Been looking at this P Philly for some time and all the revues Ive read it is very disappointing to shoot, wanted this to add to my collection so will wait till theirs a good sale on this item since its just gonna sit their on display.
The video shows it has a nice bunch.
https://youtu.be/3AcwNfpqSaA

Naphtali said:
So it's reasonable to deduce that the mechanically interesting Liège is useless as a firearm. The Philadelphia derringer might be useful as a true belly gun
I think back in their own day they both did just fine as deterrents and/or killed a man just fine.
They didn't have 21st century medicine, 911 or ambulance let alone hygiene.
Either would be fun in a proper camp representing the era.
But a wooden zip gun using a 45 long colt cartridge powered with a rubber-band would probably be of better use today.

Dragonsfire said:
Been looking at this P Philly for some time and all the revues Ive read it is very disappointing to shoot, wanted this to add to my collection so will wait till theirs a good sale on this item since its just gonna sit their on display.
The video shows it has a nice bunch.
https://youtu.be/3AcwNfpqSaA

Well from what I recall about power I wouldnt be shootin no TIRES with one of them :shake:

I've fired the .36 caliber version of the Liege screw barrel. These, and the Philadelphia derringer, were strictly "up close and personal" weapons. We're talking max range of say 7 feet, down to pressing the barrel into the badguy and hoping his clothing gives enough of a gap not to blow the thing up in your hand. :wink:

We started out shooting Pedersoli .362 ball out of it and it was pretty good, but when those ran short, the owner switched to .350 ball for his .36 rifle, and those shot pathetic. The .362 sealed the chamber and was forced onto the rifling. Probably about the same as shooting a person with a lead .32 short or an anemic .380.

The box-lock pistols are often called "vest pocket" or "muff" pistols since they were known to be carried by men in towns in the vest pocket but unnoticed, or by ladies inside their hand-muff, so the potentially lethal encounters would be at very close range. Shooting one at 20' and proclaiming it "useless" is really pushing it beyond its design limits.

LD

azmntman said:
:shocked2: 10GA derringer? If not enlarged it wouldn't move the load outta the barrel, anyways you get first shot :surrender: . Also dont recommend alterations of any manufactured firearm to allow more powder etc :nono:

They must have built it for someone to use it was Belgian circa 1850

And I think I distinctly stated I don't recommend altering the powder chamber just that I am aware of it being done

And I could be aware of a reason for a person to want to use black powder for defense. Is some countries and states even possessing a modern cartridge is illegal much less a gun

And I think I distinctly stated I don't recommend altering the powder chamber just that I am aware of it being done

And I could be aware of a reason for a person to want to use black powder for defense. Is some countries and states even possessing a modern cartridge is illegal much less a gun[/quote]

Thats why I said I ALSO dont recommend it, in agreement.

Ya if you live in a liberal area where they dont allow guns maybe Blk powder is a good option, I'd still get more power, say a snub nose revolver, I have seen these in .44?

Once two or three folk use Blk Powder in self defense I fear we will be FFL regulated shortly there after :td:

Since no one wants to get shot these little pistols were more of a deterrent than anything else. Also, high quality sporting powders were available for use back in the day. Maybe something like Swiss or OE would up the power to usable levels.

I own two of the screw barrel pistols. They only hold about 10 grains of powder so that limits them right off the bat. However, I did chronograph them with 10 grains of triple 7 and a .454 ball and the velocity averaged 515 feet per second equaling 82 ft/lbs of pressure. Kind of on par with the .32S&W cartridge. The larger ball made a big difference as it increased pressure and thus velocity. Up close and personal I could see how they may have been effective self defense guns.

Don

azmntman said:
Thats why I said I ALSO dont recommend it, in agreement.

Ya if you live in a liberal area where they dont allow guns maybe Blk powder is a good option, I'd still get more power, say a snub nose revolver, I have seen these in .44?

I think I'd want at a minimum two shots, muzzleloading so the powder wouldn't be limited, smoothbore so you could use shot, and at least 44 caliber. Maybe a muzzleloading Remington double derringer style

Definitely a close range weapon but I think at ten or less feet a face full of heavy shot and still burning powder would slow someone down.

I own a couple of "twisters" only 36 but they fulfill my other requirements but then again I have better defensive options

Back