• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli vs. LA Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom w

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question which might very well have been discussed before, and if so please direct me to the approperate postings for it.

I am a French reenactor out of Indiana and I belong to a Milice unit and a Regular Metro Infantry Regt. As such I have two flint locks one for each impression. I have a french trade fusile similar to a "D" type for milice and currently a not so PC Pedersoli 1763 for the regulars outfit.

When I bought the Pedersoli, it was my first flinter, she had some problems as I got her on sale! She would not spark worth a darn and I managed to crack the frizzen spring putting on a flash guard...dough!! In anycase that was along time ago, and now she has a hardened frizzen and new spring. Though she is still tempermental and will give me fits at times with her lack of spark and abundance of clack!

I have been considering purchasing a Loyalist Arms or DG M1728 St. Etienne now for some times and selling the M1763. My reasoning is two fold, one to get a more PC firelock and two to decrease the fussy gun problem I have now.

What is the reliability of the M1728 muskets from these two sources, compaired to a pedersoli?? How does there construction compair? Which is the better choice? I know some of this is opinion but I need advice from others who have delt with the M1728 before I make up my mind. If not a M1728 is there some other source for a correct fusile? Would I be taking a loss if I traded in for a M1728? I need something that can be used for 1755-1760 regular french infantry (regt. Royal Rousillon). I am looking for reliability and historical accuracy.

Thanks all and as I said if there is a source for this info on the board already just point me there!

Why was this moved to Flintlock Rifles...as it has nothing to do with that topic at all....

:confused:

Can't answer the first question but the M.1728 would certainly be the right choice for the regular regiments sent to North America in the 1750's. The Pedersoli is actually a Short Land, New Pattern musket but they didn't start production until 1768. The Pedersoli is relatively correct, except for a dated lock rather than "Tower" marked like it should have. The problem is that the gun didn't exist until after the F&I War as built. The French M.1728 with the 1746 improvement of a metal ramrod was the issue musket for the period. The Indian made guns are a little "clunky" though the French muskets appear a bit less over-stocked than the British muskets. Good luck.

I have one of Middlesex village's 1717 Ettiene Muskets.I refinished it to make it look about 50 years old (I know, I know some don't like that)I was very impressed the first time I slid a patch down the bore as it felt smooth as glass.The trigger pull and the pressure on the frizzen were a bear,I was bustin rocks left and right and I would shake trying to pull the trigger.Got those problems worked out but it still has a hit or miss sparking :hmm: It'll go dead even with a new flint then after dry fireing it a dozen times it'll spark nice and hot again :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: ..For the money I like it but it's got some bugs......Mark

Latest posts

Back