• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli SxS wedge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pevtsovy

32 Cal
Reaction score
Need some advice.

The barrel wedge on my 1982 Pedersoli SxS 10ga keeps getting bent out of shape. It keeps getting bowed and I have to hammer it flat.

The answer is a replacement and I can get one from VTI gun parts.

What I want to know: Is the wedge supposed to be hardened steel?

Is see Track of the Wolf sells a replacement wedge. Are they any better?:

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I don't know the answer to your question. Both my Pedersoli shotguns have a "set" screw for the wedge. If it is adjusted just right the wedge stays in place when assembled and comes out to the stopping point with a little constant pressure. Could it be that your missing the set screw or it is not adjusted properly?

Both my Pedersoli shotguns have a "set" screw for the wedge.
I have a 1974 Navy Arms(Pedersoli) 12SxS and the wedge doesn’t have a set screw.
I did did the same as the OP and elongated the wedge, but I haven’t had a problem with it loosening again.

The problem is that recoil bends the wedge key out of shape so that the barrels are loose and you can hear them rattle when you shake the gun.

The wedge key that is in there now is soft steel.

What I want to know is if the newer wedges are hardened.

I ordered a new one from VTI gun parts but if it does not fix the problem I may have to try to harden the old wedge.

Is it too loose in the key slot? If so the recoil is bending it. Or, if it is not aligned properly when you insert it you are bending it. You might buy another wedge key and see what the real issue is. If the slot is misaligned you can open it some but that may require using a different wedge key that is a little bit larger.

Received replacement wedge from VTI gun parts. Went in perfectly. A snug fit compared to the old one. I will go pattern it on Friday to see of there is any change.

I purchased my Pedersoli SxS in January. I can't tell if the wedge is hardened or not, but I can say for sure that the first time I took it out, it was everything I could do not to damage the wedge or the wood/hardware around it. In fact I put a couple lines in the wood in the pull side and the tip of the wedge on the push side is a little beat up. Since that first time it has been stiff to get it out, but much more reasonable than the first time. I think the wedge wears with each time it gets pulled out and would be one of those items that would need to be replaced due to wear periodically.

Back