• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli RM Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddbro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone put a peep sight on one of these? I'm really thinking about grabbing one I can get for a good price. Searching around there doesnt seem to be to any aftermarket accessories like you find for the TC and Lyman's. Any other info on these? Are they worth the money they ask for them? They sure do look nice.

I have had my RM Hawken for about 3 years now, with my eyesight deteriorating I have considered a peep sight too, I mainly shoot at no more than 75 yards, I find the longer sighting plane offered by the long barrel helps a bit.
They are a heavy rifle but balance well and are easy to carry, I find the weight settles the rifle either offhand or over a rest.
I can shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards with 90g FF and a PRB, which for me without a lot of tuning is good.
When I do my part it is extremely reliable and goes off every time.
I don't think I would ever part with mine-though I do wish it was a little lighter in the hill country

You might want to try a Merit eye glass peep sight to help with the iron sights, or look at the after market "Skinner" peep sights. These are of good quality. and look good on the rifle.

ToddBro said:
Anyone put a peep sight on one of these?

Yes, I have a TC tang peep mounted on mine with a Williams aperture. One could mount a number of the peeps available.

Doe1125122.jpg

I think the Rocky Mountain Hawken is one of the finest production guns made for fit and finish and much closer to an actual Hawken in appearance than other "Plains Rifles" on the market. I found the triggers to be excellent. I personally think they are worth the extra charged considering one can find them for $1000 or less on sale. I have gone to flinters and sold off all percussions except my RMH, which will probably stay with me to the end.

ToddBro said:
Did you have to do any smithing to install the TC peep?

Since the RMH has no pre-drilled holes or anything, you will need to drill and tap...or have a competent gunsmith install. Those TC Peeps aren't made anymore (to my knowledge) but you can find them used from time to time. The Skinner peep mentioned looks like a top quality peep, but they sit on the breech vs the tang so are a little further from the eye. The Lyman is preferred by some folks...a bit large for my personal tastes, but I have no doubt they function very well.

On the more traditional side is the Johnson Peep sight. It is made to be a fixed-position peep by screwing to the breech, but on my last installation I affixed a dovetail so I have some left/right adjustability. Filing the front sight gives me the elevation as well as left/right.

Here it is on my last build, a Flint Hawken:

16125075354_94b92936e7_c.jpg

Others here have made some very simple peeps, like a "lolipop" peep from a thumb screw. A search on the forum should find examples for you.

Spikebuck said:
ToddBro said:
Anyone put a peep sight on one of these?

Yes, I have a TC tang peep mounted on mine with a Williams aperture. One could mount a number of the peeps available.

Doe1125122.jpg

I think the Rocky Mountain Hawken is one of the finest production guns made for fit and finish and much closer to an actual Hawken in appearance than other "Plains Rifles" on the market. I found the triggers to be excellent. I personally think they are worth the extra charged considering one can find them for $1000 or less on sale. I have gone to flinters and sold off all percussions except my RMH, which will probably stay with me to the end.

Nice pic you got there Spikebuck :thumbsup:
The RMH is indeed a fine looking percussion, one of which I've been keeping my eye on one with the fancy maple. I may have to sell a muzzleloader to get it but thats ok, its a "cough..gag..Knight inline cough!!!"
However, I did just last week buy another TC Hawken, this one in .50 with the TC peep sight.
I'm opposite of you though Spikebuck, I have 2x flintlocks, Pedersoli Frontier-32 & 50. All the rest are percussion
My eyes are still young, well this year anyway.

Man your not kidding. That's was one heavy rifle. Beautiful no doubt, to nice actually and to heavy as it was going to strictly be a hunting weapon for me. I passed even though the price was excellent.

Those are indeed beautiful rifles and I have looked at a couple of them in the last few days but those stocks are so low....... how in the heck do you shoot them???? I know everybody's face is different and a TC Hawken fits me perfectly as does my Hatfields but that Pedersoli is sooooo low I couldn't begin to see the top of the barrel or sights when I had my cheek on that stock. Greg. :)

Back