• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petersoli's target guns; especially the European and British copies, are excellently made guns - and accurate too. But, they are very expensive.

Here in South Africa, they are about the most expensive BP guns you can buy. But, I've also seen some absolute dogs from that company. Guns that were'nt built or assembled, but thrown together. On their doubles, I've repaired a number where the hammers are out of sync on half/full cock. Where triggers are so hard, accuracy s impossible. Not to speak of cracked and broken stocks (poor design).

We've also had some terrible problems with their Rolling Block in lines. Most guys dumped them and those that claim they are accurate, are lying. I should know; I build/repair these things for a living ...

Who in the states makes military muskets ?I have checked out the Indian made ones that other guys use at the range etc. While I could get one working and looking right I found that buy the time it was landed here buy a dealer with import ability they were dearer than a second hand pedersoli.C heck out my post in the smooth bore forum on my new bess.Look at tow site and check out the price on the 1730-40 patern bess.Another thing that beats the hell out of us guys overseas is that while our currency is rated at a higher value than the US dollar the US companies that we deal with dont honor the international exchange rates.

It seems a number of people have misinterpreted my comments, and on re-reading what I posted I can see how that would happen. I am well aware that Pedersolis are not HC/PC correct and not even close. I als o know HC?PC and shooting good are not the same thing.

I would have been more accurate if I had said there are a number of people, and I know this is not a universally held belief either, who believe that only custom made guns can compete effectively at the top echelons. There have also been a number of threads lately about Pedersolis being expensive and relatively poor quality for their price point. Pedersolis results, even if reprinted for their own gain, prove that tuned factory guns can do very well.

Here is a link to how the various competitions work for those that are interested.
http://www.mlaic.org/competitions.htm

There are by the way a large number of American shooters entered in these competitions, and in the disciplines that allow reproduction guns, there is not limitation on how custom they can be. The U.S. International muzzle loading team sends a contingent to every competition.
www.usimlt.org/

For anyone that wants to shoot any discipline from flintlock pistol to long range rifle this is a great competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a doubt. Some of the cheapest Spanish barrels have been really accurate, to help make your point. Thanks for clarifying your OP.

Fact is the gun is no better than the barrel. With a good barrel you could use a fuse to light the charge and if you can hold it steady long enough it will drive tacks.

Whether or not the gun is HC or PC or some fantasy piece with a bolt action and fiberglass stock has little to do with accuracy on target. I don't believe anybody can dissagree with you there.

Enjoy, J.D.

I am well aware that Pedersolis are not HC/PC correct and not even close.

Oh, but herein lies the debate. :grin: Pedersoli's are "close". The disagreement is how close. :hmm:

To some apparently not very to me over the top. :thumbsup:

ebiggs said:
Oh, but herein lies the debate. :grin: Pedersoli's are "close". The disagreement is how close. :hmm:

You hit the nail on the head there! :thumbsup: That's exactly the debate that rages on this forum ad infinitum. How close does it have to be to be considered 'close'?

Now that is a truly interesting perspective. I am not anywhere near a HC/PC authority, nor does it play any role in what I buy or shoot because I do not participate in any type of re-enactment. For me it is about targets and mostly hunting, so for me quality, reliability and accuuracy are the paramount considerations.

That a debate exists as to how close a repro has to be to be HC/PC is truly interesting given the wide variety of guns, styples, finishes and quality of construction that existed from 1700 to 1900, particualarly when you consider how many countries were producing guns, on top of what was made heree and in other colonies.

The pursuit of that knowledge is an avocation for the truly well read and researched members here and I will choose to read but not participate in those debates.

Squirrel Tail said:
That's exactly the debate that rages on this forum ad infinitum. How close does it have to be to be considered 'close'?

Which Pedersoli? Some are pretty close to historical arms and some are fantasy pieces that have a butt at one end and a hole in the muzzle at the other with a trigger and a frizzen spring in between and there any similarity with a historical muzzleloader ends.

I don't know the size of the scoring rings of the international targets but their 50 meter "world record" is no better I suspect than the 50 yard records at Friendship. Most are 50s with 3X or more for the offhand matches.
So all the trumpet blowing aside I suspect the records are pretty typical of the NMLRA records.
See http://www.nmlra.org/records.asp

The Italians can make good barrels and they shoot good.
As stumpkiller pointed out some of their stuff rates pretty good. Mostly their copies of European MLs.
Some, like their attempts at Kentucky rifles are dismal.
The inletting is usually fair maybe better maybe worse.
But a distressing number of people, including some custom ML makers in the US cannot seem to tell good lines from bad on a Kentucky.
People need to spend more time looking at the better originals. Yes there are ugly originals as well. Not everyone that made/stocked MLs in America was talented or even trained as a gunsmith.

Dan

Dean2 said:
It seems a number of people have misinterpreted my comments, and on re-reading what I posted I can see how that would happen. I am well aware that Pedersolis are not HC/PC correct and not even close. I als o know HC?PC and shooting good are not the same thing.

I would have been more accurate if I had said there are a number of people, and I know this is not a universally held belief either, who believe that only custom made guns can compete effectively at the top echelons. There have also been a number of threads lately about Pedersolis being expensive and relatively poor quality for their price point. Pedersolis results, even if reprinted for their own gain, prove that tuned factory guns can do very well.

Here is a link to how the various competitions work for those that are interested.
http://www.mlaic.org/competitions.htm

There are by the way a large number of American shooters entered in these competitions, and in the disciplines that allow reproduction guns, there is not limitation on how custom they can be. The U.S. International muzzle loading team sends a contingent to every competition.
www.usimlt.org/

For anyone that wants to shoot any discipline from flintlock pistol to long range rifle this is a great competition.

Being HC does not mean giving up anything in accuracy.
I have never said that the Pedersolis, for example, were inaccurate. In fact given the dismal quality exhibited in many ML barrels in America they may average better.

The swamped barrel has become universal in custom Kentuckys for example. I do not believe that swamped barrels will average as accurate as a straight or mildly tapered barrel will.
My match rifle has a straight and its shoots about as well as one is likely to find and its HC as well.

Dan

I begin to think the whole afair is comparabl to wine tasting ... The true connoisseurs start rolling there eyes while slurping a sip of wine, start rolling their eyes and then start summing up all the qualities lik colour tastes they recognize, and they all become very lyrical ... I never get further than 'Yummie' and then ... drunk! :doh: Same with flintlocks: I do like a beautiful flintlock, and allthough I try to learn about them I will be in trouble if I have to point out which is more original or less original build... :idunno:

Dan Phariss said:
I don't know the size of the scoring rings of the international targets but their 50 meter "world record" is no better I suspect than the 50 yard records at Friendship.

To clarify about the MLAIC targets:

Rifle, pistol and revolver utilise the UIT 50 metre Pistol Target. 10 ring = 50 mm (1.97") diameter, black centre out to 7 ring, measuring 200mm (7.87"), white out to 1 ring, measuring 500mm (19.69").

• Revolver and pistol (best hand) is shot at 25 metres (27 yards)
  • Offhand rifle is shot at 50 metres (55 yards)
  • Prone rifle at 100 metres (109 yards)

Here's a picture of the UIT 50 metre target:

201205020950424fa1037272f53.jpg

Smoothbore muskets shoot on the French 200 metre target offhand at 50 metres. The 10 ring = 80mm (3.15") diameter, black centre out to 6 ring, measuring 400mm (15.75") diameter.

As well as being readily available and relatively cheap, many of the Pedersoli line of guns are tailored and made especially for MLAIC competitions. Although many MLAIC shooters use custom made underhammer rifles by, for example, Andreas Baumkircher and Tilo Dedinski with barrels from Ueli Eichelberger ”“ which are much more expensive and of better quality than the Pedersoli line ”“, they are frequently beaten by Pedersoli shooters. Why? Because the best shooters that mange to keep their heads cool win. Even shooters with Armi Sport rifle-muskets have won medals in European MLAIC championships.

I participated in my first World Championships this year in Pforzheim (without Pedersoli guns). In the flintlock rifle prone and offhand competitions I was one of the few who used an American longrifle. I saw one other, and he was from the US team. Unfortunately, the stock shape, curved buttplate and long barrels doesn't favour the American longrifles in MLAIC competitions.

Which Pedersoli? Some are pretty close to historical arms and some are fantasy pieces that have a butt at one end and a hole in the muzzle at the other with a trigger and a frizzen spring in between and there any similarity with a historical muzzleloader ends.

Stumpkiller is dead-nuts on here (sorry for the technical jargon). While some of the Pedersoli guns or rifles are very close in appearance to existing examples of original guns, some are very far from what the company calls them. As each "model" goes, they shoot well. Sometimes particular examples will need a bit of tweaking for reliability, but again by and large they make a good firelock.

For the American Colonies, in the AWI or earlier, for Pedersoli products when it comes to appearance (appearance does count as otherwise we could use trapdoor Sprinfields with blanks just like Hollywood)

The Indian Trade Gun...isn't one. It's put together well, it shoots well, but the parts aren't correct.

The Brown Bess carbine is wrong. Shortened versions of muskets were made based on the Long-Land pattern, and this is based on the short-land pattern.

The Brown Bess is wrong for Continental units, or German units, and is correct for only a few British units. It's based on the short-land pattern, but the vast majority of the Bess types used in the AWI, were the long-land pattern. When it comes to pre-AWI..., Pedesoli could sell a perfect copy of a short-land pattern Bess..., and it would be completely wrong.

The Blue Ridge Hunter perfectly conforms to Stumpkiller's point. It's a good rifle, but it doesn't conform to anything historic, other than it uses a flintlock for ignition.

I have owned all of the above at one time or another, and shot them all will live rounds. They all shot very well. The wood to metal fit was very good for the barrels and the locks. The same may be said for both of the Thompson Center products that I own, and they aren't "correct" when it comes to appearances.

LD

My point was actually that we don't have a numerical score we can assign to 'closeness'. The eternal argument comes about between one group who will say basically "Your definition of close is ridiculously narrow", for instance the 'must be a copy of an actual historical original built by hand with as close to period materials and techniques as possible', and the other group who says basically "Your definition of close is ridiculously broad", for instance, 'it has a side lock and wooden stock and no plastic parts, so its close enough'. (By 'your' I don't mean you personally.) And there's a continuum between the these views.

Neither camp is going to convince the other of the correctness of their view, but we shall continue to argue about it as long as the forum is around, I suspect.

Neither camp is going to convince the other of the correctness of their view, but we shall continue to argue about it as long as the forum is around, I suspect.

The real issue that can not seem to get past is this. Close enough is close enough for some people.
For some people close enough isn't until you actually have an original in your hands. Fine.
To others Mr. Pharris' rubber band lock and a piece of wood is close enough.
My personal close enough is it must be reliable. That is one reason why I love my TC's. Of my four Pedersoli's, one, the Blue Ridge, is a little less reliable so I like it a little less. But it's HC/PC aspect is great,..............to me!
:grin:

Squirrel Tail said:
My point was actually that we don't have a numerical score we can assign to 'closeness'. The eternal argument comes about between one group who will say basically "Your definition of close is ridiculously narrow", for instance the 'must be a copy of an actual historical original built by hand with as close to period materials and techniques as possible', and the other group who says basically "Your definition of close is ridiculously broad", for instance, 'it has a side lock and wooden stock and no plastic parts, so its close enough'. (By 'your' I don't mean you personally.) And there's a continuum between the these views.

That is probably the best summary I have read of the two extremes in the HC/PC camps. Having read this, and in my non-expert opinion, but only applying logic; Using only originals, or an exact copy, of a surviving original or picture thereof would still seem to be over limiting given the many hundreds of thousands of guns that did not survive to modern times. Seems likely that a lot of the nuances and variety that existed in the day will have been lost forever. Hope people keep the current crop of guns in better shape so they survive the next 300 years.

I used to be a stitch counting re-enactor in my earlier years and from my experience, don't waste your money on a high dollar gun for re-enacting. If it looks right, it is right. If all you are going to do is use it for re-enacting, buy some cheap Indian gun and shoot your blanks in it. If you want to use it for targets or hunting, forget the HC/PC manure and buy a good gun for accuracy. But, I'd never use a "good" gun for re-enacting because it just gets too much wear and tear in the field. It would be a shame to ruin a good gun using it for re-enacting. If you are in NSAA, that is a whole different thing because those folks are actually shooters, not just strutters. Their equipment has to look and shoot right and they don't put the wear and tear on thier guns that guns get that are banged around and used for show by pure re-enactors.

We could debate Pedersoli's historical accuracy for years.

I will say that the chrome bore on my trade gun is fantastic.

I wish all my guns were chromed. Cleaning is so nice.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

ebiggs said:

The real issue that can not seem to get past is this. Close enough is close enough for some people.
For some people close enough isn't until you actually have an original in your hands. Fine.
To others Mr. Pharris' rubber band lock and a piece of wood is close enough.
My personal close enough is it must be reliable. That is one reason why I love my TC's. Of my four Pedersoli's, one, the Blue Ridge, is a little less reliable so I like it a little less. But it's HC/PC aspect is great,..............to me!
:grin:

But many people cannot even determine "close enough" due, for the most part, to lack of exposure or being so used to modern "functionality" that they have "no idea what they are looking" at when looking at a good Kentucky.
This from the wife of a master builder after the builder finished showing a Kentucky to a guy.
Many people when shown a really nice Kentucky visibly go into "test pattern" mode, you can see it on their faces. This is not because they are stupid, it generally ignorance. They REALLY DON'T understand what they are looking at.
People are so used to machine made mediocrity that they do not, cannot, appreciate workmanship.

The Kentucky is a functional art form. To make it so requires careful attention to the smallest detail when shaping the stock. This cannot be done on a production line. The Italians have tried to make a GOOD Hawken and finally refused to do it. Even though they had a good modern copy of a J&S as a pattern. THE SHAPING IS TOO COMPLEX.
This was tried 35 years ago, a friend of mine copied a rifle in the Montana Historical Society collection and Western Arms sent it to Italy to be copied. After a couple of attempts the Italians gave up.
What we have now is the "Santa Fe" Hawken etc which is loosely based on this rifle.
The mass produced Kentucky's fall into the same category. There is no time to make the contours as they should be. If the finer points and this is strictly in the SHAPING, are blurred or left out all together the gun FAILS the "eye" test. Its missing key elements that the average customer, used to looking at a model 70 or a TC does not even realize are supposed to be there.

From looking at the Kentucky's that come from overseas I get the idea the people that chose the designs had no idea what they were looking at either.
Within a decade or 2 of the end of the American Revolution the Baroque/Rococo art died in Europe. In the previous 100+ years everything of any quality made of wood from picture frames to tables to gunstocks was carved for decoration. By 1800 this was all dead in Europe. The artistic decorations came to be looked upon as old fashioned and even vulgar. Even Thomas Jefferson stated this.
While America, to some extent, held on the relief/incised carved rifle stock until about 1840, by this time a great many rifles had plain stocks. Some had brass and silver inlays, some looking like they had been simply tossed on the stock and then inlet wherever they fell.
The art form largely died out. The training that was given the pre-Revolution gunsmith apprentice slowly died away as the factories like Leman and Henry dominated the market. A friend of mine believes the Golden Age rifles were the result of actual gunsmiths showing their skill over people who had been "trained" to stock things like Committee of Safety Muskets during the war and then thought they were gun stockers. A look at some of these muskets will show that their only redeeming quality was that they would expel a ball if loaded properly. Very ugly. But ugly paid as well, or better than graceful...
This said there are some modern custom makers who make guns with poor lines and angular transitions. People who make "the American" rifle of the 18th and early 19th c. have to be able to tell a good line from a bad one but many cannot.

I simply will not shoot ugly guns. What is the point? Yeah, yeah beauty is in the eye and all that. But I suspect that few people here have Kindig's book or "Rifles of Colonial America" or If interested try inter-library loan for "The Kentucky Rifle a True American Heritage in Picture" by the KRA. Look through it. Image the rifle with NO decoration just the basic lines. You will find both grace and clunky page by page as you progress through the book.
Look at the rifle by George Kreps. Look at the Armstrong's, pg. 7 esp. Look at the Daniel Border. Its a classic. Look at the N. Hawk swivels with the brass forend panels. Look at the LINES. Look at the wonderful patchbox designed to fit HIS buttstock.
Look at the excessively decorated rifle on page 88. It all well executed. This rifle would be a dandy with NOTHING in the way of decoration.
I have seen photos of a wonderful rifle that was totally devoid of any decoration and stocked in curly Hickory. It was wonderfully laid out and executed.
Don't have time for this? Go to the Track of The Wolf website and look at FL rifles. Sometimes there are real jewels here priced too low. They often go fast. Look at the Jim Chambers made rifle and compare it to a Lyman GPR. The Chambers is surely reliable, its surely accurate and its beautiful. Yeah it costs a lot. H similar rifles by "unknowns" are generally under 2000. This is sweat shop wages for the maker if the gun is stocked from a blank. Its a barely livable wage if made from a pre-carve. How can Lyman sell a GPR for what they do? Perhaps people should think about this a little more and consider...

If you want a decent Kentucky get some books, buy or borrow and do some research develop an eye for line. Then frequent the TOW site and the Contemporary Longrifles Assoc "for sale" pages. There are bargains out there that are often several thousand dollars under priced. There are semi-custom makers who will make guns complete or in the white are prices almost anyone can afford if they set their mind to it and stop thinking of the ML as a toy that needs to be bought as cheaply as possible. Look at the price of Ruger #1 or a Colt 1911. They cost at least double what a GPR does, but they shoot a cartridge and are "real" guns. I love 1911s they are wonderful functional art forms in their own right. But a Kentucky pistol is more pleasing to the eye.

I am lucky I am a reasonably skilled maker. I can MAKE a better rifle than I can afford to buy.
Why, when I can shoot a rifle that IS good looking AS WELL AS very ACCURATE and RELIABLE would I shoot something with poor lines, sloppy inletting, improper assembly, and if decorated poorly done?
Aesthetically a person could be better off with a Pedersoli or a TC than a poorly executed "custom".
See the
contemporarymakers.blogspot

go to Sept 3, 2009 and look through the ads... I have run better looking stocks through my wood stove.

I need to get to the shop.
Dan

Latest posts

Back