• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel that Ped or Dgw should do something for you after all their reputations are at stake here! Good luck, Jim.
Dixie is for all intents and purposes blameless in this event. I am ever so glad that they stood by their name and didn’t do some stupid pc thing like drop the reference to southern heritage like a certain musical group who I will now turn off every time I hear them. On that fact alone I will give them a pass. i figure the best I could hope for from Pedersoli would be some replacement parts in 6 to 9 months. Appreciate your thoughts but at 75 I tend to try and focus what time I have left on this earth on more rewarding pursuits than chasing down a manufacturer for a defective part🙂

Sorry your having the problem. It may be another sign of the massive disruption of the worlds supply chains and economies. America has long history of DIY and needs to be revisited.

Pedersoli's company has a customer service that works great. Why didn't you contact them? They have spare parts for all their guns. 99% of the guns are produced inside the company, so are the locks. Sure 40 and more years old guns may have lock's parts that changed for improvements. In this case the suggestion is to replace the whole lock.

Pedersoli's company has a customer service that works great. Why didn't you contact them? They have spare parts for all their guns. 99% of the guns are produced inside the company, so are the locks. Sure 40 and more years old guns may have lock's parts that changed for improvements. In this case the suggestion is to replace the whole lock.
Found a Pedersoli parts dealer in MA.who had a whole lock in stock. Will get the gun running with that. Then this coming winter I will hardface and recut the old tumbler and make a new tool steel sear and tune the trigger pull to where I want it.

Had quite a few Ped rifles over the years and this is the first I’ve had trouble with. I’m not knocking the company. Mass production invariably results in an occasional defective part. There is a company near me that specializes in very high end side x side unmentionables where a defect never occurs, BUT, they are not mass produced, and you could buy you AND your wife a new Mercedes for the cost of one of their top end pieces. A 1%ers gun shop. The rest of us have to live with an occasional defective part.

Just got my new lock for the Ped Kentucky in the mail from Beauchamp. Ordered it Tuesday and got it today, can’t do any better than that. Went to install it on the rifle and noticed a problem I should have seen upon first inspection. The frizzen overhung the inside edge of the pan by 50 thousandths !!!! Not a big deal and an easy fix with a die grinder. However, it’s another indication that Pedersoli is having some QC issues. The trigger pull on the new lock came in at 7 pounds, not great but livable. After my experience with the original lock I believe the wise course of action is use it as it is and bring the original up to a serviceable condition and a better spec. Hope this is the end of this little saga and the new lock stands up to repeated use. We shall see.

Dixie is for all intents and purposes blameless in this event. I am ever so glad that they stood by their name and didn’t do some stupid pc thing like drop the reference to southern heritage like a certain musical group who I will now turn off every time I hear them. On that fact alone I will give them a pass. i figure the best I could hope for from Pedersoli would be some replacement parts in 6 to 9 months. Appreciate your thoughts but at 75 I tend to try and focus what time I have left on this earth on more rewarding pursuits than chasing down a manufacturer for a defective part🙂
Good attitude and nice looking Pan Head.

Pleased I ain’t, but, I consider myself lucky to have found a new lock that I could get almost overnight to put the rifle back in service. Some suppliers were telling me 6 to 9 months. I can now take my time and do a proper job of bringing the original lock up to proper spec. While I really like the little rifle; another fault it has is an extremly rough bore. Even after polishing with ground ruby bore polishing compound its roughness is still evident. Every time I pick it up I am going to be reminded of it’s general poor quality. I have a friend of 40 years or so Ed Parry, aka Blackhartlongarms, who builds rifles for a lIrving. Ed is about 30 minutes away but the problem is his rifles are museum quality conversation pieces. I want something that won’t make me cry if I lean it against a stone wall, and while I’m crawling over it the gun falls over and gets scratched. Don’t know if I can talk him down to building something at my level. From posts on this forum a Kibbler Kit seems like a pretty good alternative. Wish I knew someone who had one that I could look at so I could decide.

D50E54FA-C241-4EF3-9277-C2044FF79442.jpg

Don’t know when the lock was manufactured. Got the kit from DGW about 6 weeks ago.

As it turns out I found a Pedersoli parts dealer named Beauchamp in MA. who had a complete lock In stock. No BS with guy, same day shipping. Think I’m going to try the Stelite fix on the original and if I screw it up beyond salvation don’t care cuz he also has the individual parts. One way or another I will have a spare lock. I’ve heard that the Ped locks have been a bit of a manure shoot of late. Maybe I’ll get lucky with the new one.
Flintlocks Etc (His name is Richard Beauchamp) is one of the nicest and most helpful folks I have ever done business with. He is close personal friends with Davide (Pedersoli).
If you need anything for a Pedersoli - he has it or can get it. I have bought many sights from him.

I converted my Pedersoli Kentucky percussion with an L&R RPL flint lock with very minimal work. And I love it!
You might consider that instead of the Pedersoli lock.

This is all a bit disheartening about pedersoli...I always thought they were top notch...I'm about to buy a kentucky pistol flinter kit from dixie...I hope this problem you had is an anomoly...is the lyman trapper kit possibly a better choice?

This is all a bit disheartening about pedersoli...I always thought they were top notch...I'm about to buy a kentucky pistol flinter kit from dixie...I hope this problem you had is an anomoly...is the lyman trapper kit possibly a better choice?
I have 5 or 6 Pedersoli rifles. Some very old and 1 I bought new.
I have had zero issues with any of them. Locks are good, barrels are good, and they all shoot straight.
I converted one (a Kentucky) because I wanted a flintlock. The percussion was in perfect working order though.
I hope the current issues with Pedersoli are just a temporary thing associated with the current world issues. They are a good company that has in the past been a stellar manufacturer.

Thats what I thought...I know this supply line issue can cause a lit of problems...I've had my heart set on a pedersoli flinter kenntucky pistol. For a ling time...and they are finally in stock again... I just dont have the machining skills that most have who have chimed in here...I can polish parts...but the hardening part would be some unexplored turf...and I wouldnt want to screw up something do to lack of experience .

One thing I do know for certain having a few flinters is that the discipline required to shoot well requires a consistent trigger...hopefully no more than 6 pounds...(a set trigger is optimum).since there is no set trigger on this kit it would for sure be more of an issue...

Flintlocks Etc (His name is Richard Beauchamp) is one of the nicest and most helpful folks I have ever done business with. He is close personal friends with Davide (Pedersoli).
If you need anything for a Pedersoli - he has it or can get it. I have bought many sights from him.

I converted my Pedersoli Kentucky percussion with an L&R RPL flint lock with very minimal work. And I love it!
You might consider that instead of the Pedersoli lock.
Thanks for that info about the L&R RPL. Is that lock compatible with a double set trigger? With 2 Ped locks having now been on this rifle, neither of which do I believe were acceptable as far as trigger pull or manufacturing QC is concerned. I would rather spend my time converting the rifle to accept a better quality lock than upgrading an inferior one.

Can’t answer your question. I do know that Lyman is way behind on a lot of their inventory but they or one of their distributors my have one in stock. Good luck obtaining if you decide to go with one. I have said before that this is the first time I have ever had a problem with a Pedersoli. Unfortunately, upon reflection that’s not quite true. I purchased a Baby Rolling Block about a year ago whose extractor does not work correctly, and almost immediately ( less than 100 rounds ) experienced a broken firing pin. Replaced the firing pin but have yet to get around to dealing with the extractor issue. I have had many rolling blocks over the years, (my favorite unmentionable), both original and reproductions, even a rare New York Conract Carbine. I can assure you this extractor doesn’t work right. All a sign of the times we are living in I guess.

Last edited:
Back