• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli poor quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 57894

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello everyone I just bought my first Pedersoli. It’s a frontier flintlock. I went with them because I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from a lot of ppl I know. But when I received my rifle I’m really disappointed in the stock finish. Someone got a little carried away when sanding and sanded a low spot in the wood around the lock. Can some of you give me some input if I’m being to picky or if it’s unacceptable?

Attachments

• ABA142C7-9EEE-42B6-9C54-D08B0E26A6CF.jpeg
    ABA142C7-9EEE-42B6-9C54-D08B0E26A6CF.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 3
I’d be more concerned about the gap in front of the lock…🥴
I’m not thrilled about that either. I’ve looked at a few other pedersolis online and all of them looked like that except for the bad sand job around mortise that mine has.

i respect Pedersoli locks, triggers, and hardware. their wood and wood finish not so much.
Im feeling the same way. I’m not happy with it at all. I contacted someone from pedersoli about it and sent pics. They said the picture makes it look bad because it’s enlarged and the actual imperfection is small and in there opinion it’s not bad enough for a warranty claim. To me it’s like buying a brand new car with a dented bumper. Since I know it’s there that’s all I’m going to see since I know it’s there.

they had poor wood before the pandemic hit.
Thank you for that comment. I was wondering if they always had bad quality control or if it’s because of the Rona ruining supply versus demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been some QC problems with ALL the Italian made ML's since they came back into production after the pandemic. They were hit very hard by the Covid, losing many skilled workers to death or retirement. They are also in a rush now to catch up to the demand, so things can slip through the cracks. It seems to be random, probably depending on the worker's experience & skill level. Just the way things are right now. Right now I wouldn't buy a current manufactured gun without a personal inspection, as there are many good ones out there. Buying a pre-Covid gun would not be a concern for me. I'm confident that Pedersoli will improve their QC to the level it once was in the near future. If you use that rifle it will get a few more "character" marks & the new flaw won't seem so important. It also can be corrected if you ever refinish the stock. Main thing is how it shoots! Go have fun & worry less. Just my two cents.

There has been some QC problems with ALL the Italian made ML's since they came back into production after the pandemic. They were hit very hard by the Covid, losing many skilled workers to death or retirement. They are also in a rush now to catch up to the demand, so things can slip through the cracks. It seems to be random, probably depending on the worker's experience & skill level. Just the way things are right now. Right now I wouldn't buy a current manufactured gun without a personal inspection, as there are many good ones out there. Buying a pre-Covid gun would not be a concern for me. I'm confident that Pedersoli will improve their QC to the level it once was in the near future. If you use that rifle it will get a few more "character" marks & the new flaw won't seem so important. It also can be corrected if you ever refinish the stock. Main thing is how it shoots! Go have fun & worry less. Just my two cents.
Thank you for your two cents I really appreciate it. I agree with you on covid having them behind and trying to catch up and letting imperfections slip through. I’m happy with the finish on the rest of the rifle. Everything else lines up perfect, even the brass butt plate lines up nice with the stock. The grain of the wood in the stock is beautiful. The lock works great. The hardness of the frizzen is great. The front trigger pull is on the heavy side but works flawlessly with the set trigger engaged. A lot of ppl I’ve talked to said you can’t expect the quality of a custom gun smith in a production rifle.

Actually the wood to metal issue started along time before Covid…
More so with Investarms/ Lyman than Pedersoli.
Their issues developed later..
I had a 2008 GPR that had an excessive gap around the tang..
Great shooting gun, just needed more wood in some areas and less in others..🥴

Really disappointed to hear about these quality issues with Pedersoli. I bought my Pennsylvania flint about 6 years ago. The fit and finish was good. I tuned the lock and stripped the satin finish off so it was more to my liking, but no glaring issues at all. I have no reason to ever buy another one, only reasons not to.

Actually the wood to metal issue started along time before Covid…
More so with Investarms/ Lyman than Pedersoli.
Their issues developed later..
I had a 2008 GPR that had an excessive gap around the tang..
Great shooting gun, just needed more wood in some areas and less in others..🥴
It seems like there’s no craftsmanship or pride in their work with most manufacturers. I probably would’ve been further head to wait and find a used one that’s already scratched and dented then not worry about whatever factory defects it would have if any.

Really disappointed to hear about these quality issues with Pedersoli. I bought my Pennsylvania flint about 6 years ago. The fit and finish was good. I tuned the lock and stripped the satin finish off so it was more to my liking, but no glaring issues at all. I have no reason to ever buy another one, only reasons not to.
I believe this one will be my first and my last pedersoli I ever buy. From the price and quality of the rifle and the way their customer service representative responded to my email. I thought about calling them and explaining everything if they have someone who can speak English. Bad experience overall with them.

I believe this one will be my first and my last pedersoli I ever buy. From the price and quality of the rifle and the way their customer service representative responded to my email. I thought about calling them and explaining everything if they have someone who can speak English. Bad experience overall with them.
I agree, it’s a shame to have those issues. I may have missed it above, but did you contact the seller to see if it can be swapped for another?

I agree, it’s a shame to have those issues. I may have missed it above, but did you contact the seller to see if it can be swapped for another?
I contacted them 2 days ago and explained the issues with the stock. Just waiting to hear back from them. Pedersoli actually recommended that I ask the seller if they will let me swap it. I’m not firing it until I know for sure I’m stuck with it.

I've got 4 Pedersoli's (frontier, Bess, sxs, and flintlock scout SB). Only one I'm not impressed with is the scout. I added the ramrod since they couldn't be bothered to include it for the price, but it is flimsy and slides out all the time. The bracket for it had to be bent to get it onto the barrel but took its shape back after install.

But the biggest issue with it is how the trigger and sear meet up. It either doesn't engage, becomes a hair trigger, or doesn't properly drop the cock to hit the frizzen. I've fiddled with the screws to get it just right but I don't find it reliable to shoot. I can't be certain the shot will go off or will go off before I acquire the clay.

Had a minor issue with the frontiers lock. Didn't have good closure between frizzen and pan...powder could dump out. I replaced it with a drop in RPL and it's perfect now.

Nothing special about the sxs. I'd buy another if I could find a decent price.

The prettiest is the brown bess. Don't care about the historical deviations, it's a fine looking musket and shoots well.

Back