• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Pennsylvania

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short Arm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Being new to percussion rifle,I'm looking at the Pedersoli Pennsylvania in a 45 cal.Would this be a good starter rifle"Your Thoughts" Thanks Lynn

Short Arm:
Welcome to the Forum! :)

It would help if you told us what you want to do with it and some of the reasons you picked this gun from all of those that are available.

Even without knowing, I will say that a .45 caliber rifle is a good place to start.
They usually don't require large powder charges to shoot well, the round balls are easily found at gun shops and the recoil is quite light with target loads.

Because it is a percussion style gun, it will shoot the new synthetic black powders unlike the Flintlock versions. It will work best with real black powder though.

Pedersoli is one of the better Italian gun builders so they usually are a very nicely made arm.

Now, before you ask if the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle is a great representative of a Pennsylvania rifle you should understand that there were a great number of Pennsylvania rifles which all have certain characteristics that make them unique and the Pedersoli version is not really representative of any of them.

If your into re-enacting and you wonder about what period in time it represents I would say probably 1820-1860.
It is a good looking rifle that is fun to shoot and when your not shooting it it looks very nice on the wall.

Zonie,Being new to percussion rifle I don't know much about the different makers(GOOD-BAD).I'm going to shoot paper only.I love the looks of the long rifles.Need your help :surrender: Thanks

I have one I bought a couple years ago. I got it specifically for target shooting. With 45g of fffg Goex, .440 hornady rb, and a .018 ticking spit patch, It shoots great, but YMMV.

Cleaning requires quite a bit attention, the breech plug has lots of room for gunk to build up, and the hole at the bottom is not quite big enough to fit a brush. (this is from a .45cal perc. that I had apart, I cannot say if it is the same for their flint or 50cal)

I have a 50 cal. Pedersoli Frontier that I bought about 3 years ago. I love it and it is VERY accurate. A little fussy cleaning, but that's just part of the deal, IMHO.

Something I did find out: if you want a hard case for it, check the length of it. I went looking for a hard case for my Frontier and discovered it was too long to fit in any standard hard case. I could find only 1 case at Cabella's that it would fit in: a very heavy duty aluminum case that cost a little over $200!!

Bruce

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle in .45 flint. It's a very accurate gun if loaded correctly. It has shallow rifling and a 1:48 twist. I've found mine likes a .451 round ball with a .010 patch and 50gr GOEX 3f. It also shoots well with maxi-balls. One of the things I don't like is the 5/8"flints it uses but you won't have that problem.

Had one (.45), but I couldnt avoid extreme fouling no matter which kind ofpowder; powder charge, patch lube, no matter which patch/ball combo and so I finally sold it.
It had so much fouling that after each shot I had to swap the barrel, and even the cleaning was a pretty nasty and sticky task! Next problem was that powder residue came into the nipple and the caps couldnt egnite the powder anymore; so I had to take off the nipple and the nipple screw after each third shot to fill it with powder to help ignition!
The funny thing is that I had a .45 Kentucky rifle with the same setup and it didnt have any of these problems!:shocked2:

After I noticed that I clean more than shooting it I sold it.
My personal experience with this rifle tells me that people should stay away from it to avoid a lot of troubles.

Now I have a .58 and a .69 Springfield and have no problems concearning fouling anymore., they are so wonderful easy to handle. You really notice that these rifles were made for the military! Extremely easy to handle but they are also extremely stout and very reliable. They are a breeze to shoot, and the larger caps really help to get a better ignition! Everything is built a bit bigger and tougher (compared to normal rifles) to handle even the hardest beating/ powder charges common in battle situations.

But why is a .45 pennsylvania considered as a good rifle for starting? I would rather suggest people new to this sport buying a large cal. muzzleloader like an Enfield or Springfield in .58 or even a .69, they are really easy to handle, recoil is tame cause the rifle weighs a lot, cleaning is almost none-existent during shooting and its not so easy to over-charge rifles with .58 cal or bigger and you can shoot miniés and roundballs accurately with them.

I never understood the general suggestion to start with small rifles like .36 or .45 . :confused:
In my humble opinion rifles are a lot more difficult to handle and to shoot when they have a small bore diameter like .32, .36 or .45 and small locks with small caps, tiny spark channels under the piston and tiny rams.
My suggestion would be to buy an Enfield or a Springfield cal. .58 or .69.

Back