• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli lock quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad, I read the title asking about Pendersoli lock quality and offered my opinion on what I thought of their lock quality. As far as reviews go no offense but without a measure to judge them against I see them as little more than customer satisfaction. I am pretty sure you would get similar results from India pieces sold be either Loyalist or Veteran Arms.

Getting back on topic though, rather than just saying good quality or sparks a lot I developed a test to determine reliability and if anyone has a Pendersoli rifle I would love to have them run the test to see how it actually scores.

I've had one Pedersoli lock on a Frontier/Blue Ridge and it was a very good lock. It was better than an L&R lock I had and at least as good as the Davis trade gun lock I have. Not as good as my Chambers lock, but that doesn't say much. I didn't absolutely love the Frontier rifle but I had no complaints about the lock.

Being retired and always looking for something to do with my time I visited an old and well known mail order company and read through the hundreds of reviews that are available on the Pedersoli arms they sell. I took a few notes.

Pedersoli Flintlock Rifles.

72 reviews total being as follows:

57 reviews were 5 star
11 reviews were 4 star
3 reviews were 3 star
1 review was 1 star

The problem with such reviews is one has no way of knowing how well versed the person is who is providing the review. So, for example if the person was a first-time flintlock buyer, or if they had never handled a flintlock with an American made lock like Chambers or L&R..., would they really be able to give an objective review? There is a noticeable difference between a Chamber's lock and a Pedersoli, and ..., the Chambers lock will cost you $50 - $100 less than the Pedersoli, while being much higher quality (imho).

LD

You have a point.

But how else could one get even a sample consensus of what to expect the quality of Pedersoli might be?

It appears the reviews provided from this source parallels the comments and opinions gathered from actual owners using them.

Joe

I have faith that MOST people are able to figure out if they like or dislike a certain product for themselves. If it sparks great and the gun goes off every time, or most everytime, they would like the lock. If it doesn't break down or cause them much agrivation then they will more than likely think it is a good product. I'm not the sharpest tool I admit but pretty sure I could figure out fairly well if I think a lock or a gun or maybe even toilet paper is of good quality or not without going through to much scientific testing! :) Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt true, but a general consensus of the consumers ought to give a somewhat reliable overview if the users are happy with the product. At least that's what my simple mind tells me. Greg. :)

Ya Im able to figure it out. Ive not been lucky enough to be able to afford a custom gun with a chambers lock L&R lock or any of the other custom locks. So how would I even be able to compare it. If it works and the gun fires then Im smilin. Al

That's why I developed my "test" give you lock 20 ignitions without cleaning or removing any residue (no powder in the barrel). If it fires with 90 percent reliability (lowest score 20/22) it passes, a reprime is an automatic fail. A good lock will pass and given a cleaning (same flint no knapping) will pass a second or third time. A poor lock won't make the 20 shots.

Commodore Swab said:
That's why I developed my "test" give you lock 20 ignitions without cleaning or removing any residue (no powder in the barrel). If it fires with 90 percent reliability (lowest score 20/22) it passes, a reprime is an automatic fail. A good lock will pass and given a cleaning (same flint no knapping) will pass a second or third time. A poor lock won't make the 20 shots.

Commodore when I read the OP I gather that the poster does not presently own a Pedersoli flintlock firearm and was interested in the quality and reliability of the Pedersoli locks.

How would he be able to perform any tests on a Pedersoli lock if the poster does not have one? By asking questions on the forum and by reading reviews he could gather the information he needs to make the decision as to invest in a Pedersoli or not.

I would like to caution anyone interested in getting into flintlocks that don't be disappointed if your lock does not spark when you first try it. It might take some trial and error experimenting with it.

There are many flits to choose from: English, French, German agate, Arkansas, hand knapped, cut flints et. al. Your lock might love one over another and still hate others. Your lock may function better with the edge bevel up over the bevel down. It might spark better with the edge of the flint lightly kissing the face of a closed frizzen or set back just a little. All of this and more are simple adjustments you might have to make while you are being introduced to your new lock whether you are an ol'pro or a novice.

I have picked up several flintlock firearms that would not spark when I got them. After tinkering with them for a bit and learning what they performed best with they all became good shooters.

Just my thoughts, others will vary.

JY

Well I have decided to take a short cut, (kinda). I have Pedersoli Pennsylvania Dixie in 45 that I really enjoy shooting, it's a cap for a little longer anyhow. I ordered a flintlock, vent liner and some English flints and am going to convert it to a flint rifle.

DGW had all the parts in stock and for what they cost it seems like a good deal. To me the Pennsylvania should be a flint rifle so this will get me in the game with all Pedersoli parts and we'll go from here.

My first black powder rifle was a T/C Hawken kit I put together, the lock was junk from the get go. After some of my friends hounded me to get it out and make some smoke I did, they saw how poorly it performed and advised me on the L&R replacement lock. It has opened the flood gates so to speak and now I have several blackpowder rifles.

Cap locks are fun but flintlocks are sure more funner yet. I'll keep you posted when the lock gets here and fill you in on the installation and range day.

Thanks to all for your input and help.

Longone

Obviously the testing comments were meant for those with Pendersoli arms and not those looking to purchase arms.

Some locks do prefer certain flints but Ive found a good lock will spark with most any flint. Ive tried the same lock with French amber, black English, grey English, white chert, Spanish amber, and something not identified. the difference is not if it will spark with a sharp flint but how long it will continue sparking with that flint.

I bought the Pedersoli Ky flintlock from Cabelas in Louisville Ky. in Dec 2013. It has been fired 4000+ times since then. I fired that lock more times in a 2 month span than most shooters probably will in a year. I had the lock rebuilt a few months ago & the gunsmith said it was worn out.

It's been a good lock over those 2.5 years. Here it is in action in a short 2 minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBBnNJ4DS3c

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpshot said:
yardhunter said:
I had the lock rebuilt a few months ago

Just curious, exactly what was done for the rebuild?

All the internal parts were replaced. They were worn almost smooth. I didn't get to see the old parts since it was sent to Missouri.
Thanks for asking”¦”¦”¦..see ya yard hunter

I follow the teaching of the late Paul Vallandigham who said that some Pedersoli locks had a too strong mainspring. He told of a way to slowly grind it down to where it should be. On my Jager, I would get about 7 shots per flint before I had to replace or try to re-knapp the flint. I used his method of lightly grinding and keeping the spring cool during the grinding. There are some articles somewhere in these forums by Paul.
The end result is I get more shots per flint, and still have reliable ignition if the flint is sharp.

The Doc is out now. :hatsoff:

I think Doc was talking about the mainspring, not the frizzen spring.

As far as the frizzen cam that rides on the frizzen spring is concerned, removing material from the bottom of it to reduce the force from the spring can cause the pan cover/frizzen to "bounce back" and end up on top of the cock when the gun is fired.

As long as the pan cover comes to rest on the cock, no great harm is done but, if it comes to rest on top of the flint it might cause a problem.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Zonie. I'm still thinking frizzen I guess.

Well anyway the Pedersoli lock came in from DGW yesterday and the first problem I encountered was the vent was 5/16 x 20 and my barrel is 5/16 x 24, strike one. Then I decided to check the lock screws to be sure they fit, strike two. The cap lock is threaded 8-32 and the flint lock is metric.

So a call to DGW to explain, they told me their gunsmith is off for an extended weekend and won't be back till Tues. or Wed. of next week. Another gentleman tried to help me but ran into the same situation and was unable to find screws that fit the new lock.

With some help from another shooter I was given the date code info for my rifle and it looks to have been built in 1998, so I am wondering if the issues I'm encountering are because of the age of the rifle. So in the mean time I'll be off to the hardware store to find some screws for the lock, I do have a vent on the way from DGW so that should be cleared up when it arrives.

Also sent a message to Pedersoli but with the current issues in their country I'm not sure if and or how they may have been effected so we'll see if there is a response.

Another little tid bit, Pedersoli lists another flint lock for the Pennsylvania and DGW carries it but it's not in stock at the moment, makes me wonder if this lock has 8-32 threads. :confused:

Longone

Back