• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kodiak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddywpb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a new member, and I just aquired a Kodiak 58 caliber double rifle. Just wondering if there was anyone else who shoots one that could share some info.

daddy,
I am wondering what you intend to use
it for?? Or why did you aquire it. I know there
are a few here that have them,and will answer
your questions, but will want to know.I could give an opinion and thoughts but you would be better
off discussing it with someone who has one.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Let me guess, in South Florida he's either repelling illegal surf waders or out for big alligators :grin:

I don't have the Kodiak, but will happily pick one up when I find one at the right price and have the money in hand.

I do shoot a lot of 58 caliber (I have four 58 caliber rifles), and I know a couple of folks with 58 caliber Kodiaks. They use approximately the same loads I do, so my experience may be useful to you.

It's a potent round if you want to stoke it up. It's my choice for moose and elk, though I'm yet to get around to them. At lower charges, it still works fine for deer. I'm currently shooting 80-100 grains of Goex 3f through mine, and my hunting pard is using 90 grains of 3f triple seven in his two rifles. Friends with the Kodiaks use something similar for "all around shooting." A .570 ball and lubed pillow ticking patch is likely to be just right in yours.

One friend with the 58 Kodiak reports great happiness with conical bullets in his on as much as 120 grains of 2f Goex. He's shooting several different conicals, and I don't remember the particulars. I know one is the Lee REAL weighing in at 440 grains, as I recall. My rifles really like it too. I do recall that he's wrapping his in teflon tape to increase the diameter slightly and help prevent the second conical from being moved when he fires off the first barrel.

In your part of the world I bet that 58 Kodiak would be the ideal pig rifle. In fact, if I lived in your part of the world I wouldn't be waiting for money or the right price to pick one up. Slap plastic and pay later, but get it in the house now!

I think you'll be really happy with your purchase, bot for fun shooting and for hunting.

It is going to be my hog rifle for this years ML season, so I've got about a month and a half to play with loads and conicals. I've wanted one for years, but never found one in my price range. This one was not only in my price range, but in 95% condition too. Stock has a couple dings, metal is like new. The man I bought it from has one in .72, and hopefully we'll get to do some hog smackin' togeather.

There is no season for hogs in Florida on private land. IIRC, the season only applies to WMA's. You don't even need a hunting license on private land and even guided hunts with dogs are cheap because the big farmers and agribiz people want them GONE!!! Unless you are hell bent on hunting them in Big Cypress or Loxahatchee, just ask around and see if you can find someone who knows a farmer up around the lake who has a hog problem. The Seminoles who live in the small reservation on the north shore actually trap them, castrate the young boars and let them go to get fattened up. Some of the Cubans in Miami actually prefer the "meat" sows to domestic hogs for their ridiculoulsy delicious holiday pig roasts and have a standing order in with the guide services. The "other white meat" kinda gave up most of its flavor when they started feeding domestic hogs the diet to keep the meat "healthy" :youcrazy: Ihave hunted them with dogs and a spear, but my brother uses them to test out his 30-06 and 300 WSM handloads. Suffice to say that he goes for head shots so that there is meat left on the carcass when those 165gr Game Kings and 180gr Partitions get done with them. You won't need anything more than round ball in that .58 for any hog you see in South Florida. The average hog you will see down there will be around 80-150 pounds.

I recently bought a used .50 cal Kodiak Double rifle and am still working on finding the best load for it. The guy from whom I bought it had taken it in trade and had never shot it so he could give me no info on loading it. The twist rate on mine is 1:24 but this can vary on different Kodiaks according to what caliber they are and when they were made. So far, I have found that mine likes an over powder wad. I make mine from 6 to 8 ounce leather that I soak in Balistol. I use a half inch hollow punch to punch them out.

Because of the fast twist rate, mine doesn't shoot round balls worth a darn. I am having to work with different conicals. Mine has a scope in addition to the two rear sights but I have not been able to get the two barrels to register enough to make the scope worth a darn. I do pretty good with the open rear sights. I just have to remember to use the correct one for each barrel.

I love my rifle and am having fun developing a load for it. It is made by Pedersoli so I know it is well made and it is just up to me to find what it likes for a load. Once I do that, it is going deer hunting with me.

Billnpatti,

It's supposed to be fun. That's what it's all about, and when you kill a deer, it'll all be worth it!
Steve

daddywpb said:
Been hunting in South Florida for 35 years, but thanks.
Ah........I guess that means you want to hunt them in the WMA? :grin: We hunt them up on the north side of the lake and in Hardee County and are trying to work up some potential freebee pest control hog and coyote hunts in Polk and Pasco.

daddywpb
If your planning on using it in a muzzleloader season be sure to check with the Game and Fish department (or whoever sets up the regulations).

Some States do not allow double barrel muzzleloaders to be used in that season.

The only restrictions for ML'ers in Florida are the caliber restrictions for deer. They are 40 caliber for a single projectile gun and 20 gauge for shotguns. Nothing like regs you see in other states which say that muzzleloaders must have only one barrel, even back up pistols in some states)
Edit. Actually, there are two restrictions. The other one is that evil inlines are considered to be modern weapons for purposes of possession and therefore, anyone with a disqualifying conviction cannot have them or hunt with them. Antiques and replicas only for our bad boys. :grin: Some poor schlub in North Florida found that out the hard way. After being told by his former probation officer, a cop or two, a fish and game officer and the salesman at the gun shop that it was okay, he was convicted anyway. Guess they didn't get the memo.

Hey daddywpb
I am still waiting for the conical mould so I can lob a few heavy weights at the hogs. I don't think that it will be as comfy to shoot as the patched round balls we were shooting. I do't have to worry about my wife wanting to shoot it either!

tarawa,

At 770 grains, I would bet that it WONT be as comfy. Impressive! I would bet that my wife will still want to shoot it.

Hi,

I've had one for almost 3 years but it will be sold soon. My best load was a .575 ball with a .010 patch and an over powder felt wad and 100gr Goex 2F. It also shot good with the Lee Real bullet and the same 100gr 2F.

I had smoothed out the muzzle crowns and lapped the barrels. It was hard to load when new but much better after I worked on it. Another thing to look out for is the tumblers. Several years ago there was a problem with bad tumblers. The trigger pull was very heavy at first then got lighter and lighter then it started doubling and eventually it wouldn't stay cocked. I replaced both tumblers with ones from Dixie and now the trigger pulls are safe and a reasonable weight.

I'm selling it because although accuracy was pretty good at 50 yards with both barrels, I could never get it to reliably hit an 8.5x11 sheet of paper (deer vitals) at 100 yds. I tried numerous different loads, ball diameters, patches, conicals and such. Even just shooting only one barrel. It's a good looking gun and a conversation starter and I put a lot of work into it but if I can't reliably hit a deer at 100yds I don't want it.

BTW, I took my largest deer ever with it last year. The first shot was about 10 feet straight down from my stand. The shot was too close and too fast and unfortunately it grazed the shoulder without hitting the lungs. He was hurt bad and would go a couple hundred yards then bed down. Just when I would get close enough for another shot he would get up and move again. If I was confident of a 100 yards shot I could have ended things in a few minutes. As it was I chased him for 6 hours before finally getting him down for good. I know about letting game sit for a while after a bad shot but each time I kept thinking I could get close enough to finish him. If I had a 100 yard gun I would have.

Dale

I had one in .58 that I bought new from Dixie gun Works. Kodiaks are fun! Sold it to pay for my ongoing addiction to flintlocks :grin: Anyways, here's the best regulated, most accurate load I found:

.570 ball
.015-.018 wonder-lubed pillow ticking
100 grains 2f Goex

Shot my best ever group with above load off the bench at 50 yards; 6 shots touching in one ragged hole (3 each barrel).

Also did well with the Black Widow Bullet Co. 400 gr conical and triple 7. But settled on the roundball load as it was the best and also very comfortable to shoot from the 9 1/2 - 10 lb. Kodiak.

Another note: have read many times how well the R.E.A.L. conical worked with the Kodiaks. Obviously great in some Kodiaks, however, mine did not group well with them at all.

Back