• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Indian Trade musket has arrived.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears as though the factory vent liner was .055" +/-. I drilled the liner out to 1/16" or .0625" this afternoon. This flint that came with the gun is a black English flint measuring roughly 1" X 1.125". I really think the vent liner is mostly the issue. The inside of the lock could use some smoothing of parts here and there, BUT based on all the horror stories on the internet about the Lott lock I was prepared for far far worse. For the record I'm comparing this lock to a Chambers Late Ketland lock. I'm on the fence regarding lead vs leather for securing the flint. I did have some trouble near the end of Sundays shooting session keeping the flint secure.

Crewdawg said:
I've had to file down several Pedersoli frizzen springs as they were way to stiff, same for mainsprings.

Good advice but making any changes to springs is not something that should be attempted by a beginner. Best to order a couple replacements before getting out the files.
You will find leather to be, by far, the preferable method of holding your flint in place. It gives a grip while lead allows the flint to slip around.

True, springs can be difficult as the file skips over the surface, however with persistence they will file.

I agree with leather over lead as well.

I also believe those "horror stories" are null and void. It's a production style lock... Period. For what this particular lock is, when tuned correctly a fabulous lock it becomes.

Made no other changes besides drilling out the touch hole liner to 1/16". Ignition problems all went away. Was a pleasure to shoot today.

Order a good hickory rod blank from track,take the ped rod out and snap it over your knee before you run it through your hand,every pedersoli I've had had crappy rods,get a good hickory one and soak it in lindseed oil,no glass rods, no wonder rods,no plastic rods,no brass rods

spudnut said:
Order a good hickory rod blank from track,take the ped rod out and snap it over your knee before you run it through your hand,every pedersoli I've had had crappy rods,get a good hickory one and soak it in lindseed oil,no glass rods, no wonder rods,no plastic rods,no brass rods

Very good advice and a worthwhile upgrade.

Any recommendations re: Ped. Trade Rifle round ball caliber and weight? Patch thickness? Was going to use 4f in pan and 3f in barrel? All subject to range experimenting.

Any recommendations re: Ped. Trade Rifle round ball caliber and weight? Patch thickness? Was going to use 4f in pan and 3f in barrel? All subject to range experimenting.
I use .600 round balls in mine with a mink oiled thin .010 pillow ticking patch and 80 grains of 2F. It’ll hold a 2” group at 25 yards. Haven’t tried it any further yet.

The big brown truck dropped it off a hour or so ago. First impressions are favorable. Lock sparks very well. Not incredibly well, but very good none the less. Sparks are plentiful and have good starbursts if you get my drift. Interestingly enough, what I received is not what was advertised. The current Trade musket is advertised and pictured as having a blued barrel and color case hardened furniture except for the brass thimbles and side plate. Mine has a brass butt plate, not case hardened. Also has a browned barrel, not blued. The lock mortise is a little oversized for the lock and the trigger guard is mounted to the stock slightly crooked. However overall the fit and finish is fantastic for a production firearm. Came shipped with plenty of storage grease. So I will be busy this evening! Can't wait to shoot it.

Edit- proofing date code of CP indicates 2016
I'm partial to a browned barrel.....sounds like a gorgeous rifle. Congrats!

I use .613" balls cast from the Pedersoli mold that can be bought for this musket. I use FFG in the bore and FFFFG for prime, although mine will reliably ignite FG through FFFFG in the pan. No patch. I ram down a wad of lubed tow, then the bare ball, then another wad of lubed tow.

Interesting how this thread was revived after nearly 3 years. The musket has really been put to the test. A LOT of shots have gone down the bore, both shot and ball. Been a favorite hunting companion for 3 years now. No parts failures. I'm even STILL using the factory ramrod!

I use .613" balls cast from the Pedersoli mold that can be bought for this musket. I use FFG in the bore and FFFFG for prime, although mine will reliably ignite FG through FFFFG in the pan. No patch. I ram down a wad of lubed tow, then the bare ball, then another wad of lubed tow.

Interesting how this thread was revived after nearly 3 years. The musket has really been put to the test. A LOT of shots have gone down the bore, both shot and ball. Been a favorite hunting companion for 3 years now. No parts failures. I'm even STILL using the factory ramrod!

That's very good.
I just use 3Fg for mine for both prime and main.
The smoothies tend to be a bit better on the stress when it comes to rammers than are rifles.

LD

Back