• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Cabelas Blue Ridge percussion rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestick

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone own and shoot the Pedersoli Blue Ridge percussion rifle in .54 cal? Always been interested in it and I am not getting any younger so I thought I would investigate it some and see if it is one I really would like to have. Says it is a 1-65 twist in the .54

Anyone own and shoot the Pedersoli Blue Ridge percussion rifle in .54 cal? Always been interested in it and I am not getting any younger so I thought I would investigate it some and see if it is one I really would like to have. Says it is a 1-65 twist in the .54
Hi. I also looked at and did a little research of this .54 Pedersoli being carried by Cabelas. One thing I look for is accuracy and 4-5" groups at 100yds are not that good. Granted that's a long ways but there are other MLs that can that in half. I'm looking elsewhere but that's just my opinion. Good luck

Hi. I also looked at and did a little research of this .54 Pedersoli being carried by Cabelas. One thing I look for is accuracy and 4-5" groups at 100yds are not that good. Granted that's a long ways but there are other MLs that can that in half. I'm looking elsewhere but that's just my opinion. Good luck
I didn't know there was a standard 100 yd. group size for each brand of rifle... I believe those types of things are determined by the operator of each rifle.

I shot a 5" group with my little CVA Frontier carbine at 100 yds. a few days ago and I've only been shooting ML rifles for 4 months or so. I'm confident there's members of this forum that could do much better with the rifle being discussed.

Last edited:
I have been looking at these rifles pretty hard lately to, they seem to be out of stock everywhere right now. Nice plain Jane factory gun that seems to have good fit and finish from the ones I have seen and handled.

@Justin.44, you've been hanging around those crotchety old shooters at the Gemmer Club and you have learned that accuracy is mostly achieved by the proper tightening of the nut behind the butt plate.

Yes, one should be able to achieve better accuracy than 4 to 5 inch groups at 10 yards.

Or as @Dr5x (Dutch Schoultz) would say, "Load development".

@Justin.44, you've been hanging around those crotchety old shooters at the Gemmer Club and you have learned that accuracy is mostly achieved by the proper tightening of the nut behind the butt plate.

Yes, one should be able to achieve better accuracy than 4 to 5 inch groups at 10 yards.

Or as @Dr5x (Dutch Schoultz) would say, "Load development".
That's what I was saying. It's not like the ones reviewing the Pedersoli Blue Ridge were amateur shooters. Plus it was 100 yards not 10 LOL

I own the Blue Ridge in 50 and it is accurate.
take a look....it IS a shooter
You will have to figure out the load IT likes and adjust a little
my 2 cents

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ge-flintlock-rifle.124318/page-2#post-1709941

OP, it takes good technique and load development to get the best accuracy from any rifle on the bench.
I’d say that 4-5” groups at 100 yards are about where many BP shooters stop. The rifles are capable of better than that but the sights on most replica rifles are fighting you every step of the way. Add to that the fact that most new shooters don’t learn marksmanship with irons first before graduating to optical sights and 4-5” groups with a traditional muzzleloader borders on the miraculous and that pedersoli would be as accurate as most any of the type. Replace the sights with a peep rear and globe front and then work up a load using loose powder and a patched round ball and you’ll be on the way. If you decide to stay with the factory sights you can still make it shoot very well. You might try a .490 round ball with say a patch .015” thick, using spit for the lube initially. I usually place a .54 unlubricated wool wad over the powder in a .50 caliber rifle but do try with and without the wad. I have experience with exactly one of these rifles and my friend was able to get fine accuracy from his .50 example.

I have the browned version of this rifle - a Frontier in .54 and is a flintlock.
It's very accurate.
One word of caution - when you clean it make sure you use a reduced size mop or tip to get the patent style breech properly cleaned.
It's simple, just something to be aware of.

Back