• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this is not a replica of any original in particular. But does it represent a general type or time period? Lehigh perhaps? I'm looking for a lighter weight rifle and these seem to get decent reviews. But if the general design doesn't fit into 1780-1790, I'll pass on it and stick with the Charleville and carrying around it's weighty balls. I'm older now and weight of equipment lugged around is an issue. I can shoot for quite awhile with a pound of .50 or .36 balls in the pouch!
I know you guys have the answer and probably it's been discussed at length, but a search didn't bring up the answer. Sorry, all my reference material went 20 years ago and I have not had time to rebuild the library. All help is appreciated.
WJ

i210008hz02.jpg

All I can tell you is I knew a fellow had one in .36 that was a tack-driver. As far as I know, it is not a reproduction of any existing Pennsylvania style. If someone held it up across a large room and yelled: "When?" I'd yell back: "1850's?"

All I can tell you is I knew a fellow had one in .36 that was a tack-driver. As far as I know, it is not a reproduction of any existing Pennsylvania style. If someone held it up across a large room and yelled: "When?" I'd yell back: "1850's?"

Just curious Stumpy, :master: but why would think 1850's? It is my understanding full stocks were falling from grace along about that time.

If it were me, I'd take a WAG and say 1800....but I honestly don't have a clue.

Good question!

Russ

1850s or 1950s?

It is and always has been a generic Italian repro of the Disney-Crockett-Boone school of the Aniheim region of Southern CA with traces of the Sacrimento Valley in the forend.

Neither of these schools of style existed before 1950 and the butt is way too skinney to date it before 1820!

From my understanding the stock is styled after the Hatfield rifles (hence the thin but), weren't Hatfields around in the 1800s?

I think ya nailed it Ghost. But an inline it ain't Praise the Lord. I say lock and load. Powder, patch, ball, prime, obtain your target, squeese the trigger :redthumb:

If it were me I'd stick with the Charleville but I'm real fond of them being I'm a 1790's reenactor.
Andy

It is a copy of the Hatfield mountian rifle carried in the Appalachian Mountains well into the 1900s. Made famous by the Hatfields and the McCoys.

It is a copy of the Hatfield mountian rifle carried in the Appalachian Mountains well into the 1900s. Made famous by the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Where then, are the McCoy rifles???? :huh: I think that is blatent discrimination of the Irish. :crackup:

Made famous by the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Don't you believe what them McCoy's tell you. In 1878 we Hatfields weren't totin no flintlocks.

Devil Anse Hatfield

DEVILANSE.GIF

Anse, for example, owned several thousand acres of prime timberland. Both families were heavily involved in the manufacture and sale of illegal whiskey.

Peace was shattered in August 1882. Once again the occasion was a Pike County election. The corn whiskey flowed plentifully. Soon Ellison Hatfield stirred from a drunken slumber, first to insult Tolbert McCoy, then to attack him. Tolbert and one of his brothers drew knives and stabbed Ellison; a third brother shot him.
Ellison, bleeding profusely from 26 stab wounds and a bullet in his back, was borne away. Anse and his kin quickly rounded up the three McCoys. Two days later Ellison died. The Hatfields tied the three boys, all sons of Ran'l, to pawpaw bushes on the Kentucky side of the river and pumped 50 rifle bullets into them.

Now, a man has to be pretty patient and yet upset to shoot 50 times with a flintlock. Neither the Hatfields of the McCoys were as poor as Hollywood would have you believe. They were likely totin lever-actions by then, certainlt cartridge arms of some type.

"Hatfield" is a company that marketed muzzleloaders in the late 1970's and is now re-organized as Austin & Halleck (same Ted Hatfield is Mgr of Mfg.) I believe the jigs and patterns for the Hatfield were sold to Pedersoli, certainly the design is identical.

I don't care what it's supposed to replicate. My Nell shoots better than I'll ever be able to!
Rick

Thanks for all the replies on this. I know from all the personal posts everywhere that the BlueRidge can shoot well....
but does can the .50 caliber Dixie Tennessee I already have.
I asked about the Blueridge because I am looking for alternatives to accurately suit my chosen timeframe and location. I have my cut-down Charleville that can work for these requirements, it's reliable, and I know it's good for turkey with a shot load. But it'd be nice to have a little more accuracy for roundball target shooting and also a lighter weight ball to lug around in the woods (I can pack twice as many shots in the pouch at less weight for .50 as .69). Hence, the search for something rifled in the .50 caliber range that fits the era needed (Rev War-1790 Ohio river frontier/western PA).....and under $1000.
I've also been looking at the TVM "Early Virginia Rifle" in the white. TVM is very vague though about years represented. Their iron Pennsylvania looks nice[url] also...again[/url] though, vague on the era of it's styling.
And before it's mentioned: no, I have no desire to build my own gun these days...not even from a kit. I built several from kits and parts years ago, but no more. I don't have a problem with finishing one from an "in the white" state though. I could spend the $100 saved on better wood maybe.
I'm in no hurry. But I do appreciate all of the input.
WJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me I read somewhere that Ted Hatfield did copy the stock from a a southern mtn rifle, but I don't really care if it was a copy of an original or not, my Blue Ridge 50 flintlock shoots just fine, vary quick reliable lock, and accurate too. :m2c:

"In the first place, the gun is genuine. There really was a gun like it, made more than 150 years ago. I looked it up and compared them. Hatfield went to some pains to make a true replica."

2004-150 = 1854 :haha: I was off four years. ::

Gobbler's is accurate, so that makes two for two that I know of kind of personally. :winking:

"In the first place, the gun is genuine. There really was a gun like it, made more than 150 years ago. I looked it up and compared them. Hatfield went to some pains to make a true replica."

:winking:

Geez! 4 years, I guess ya just can't trust anybody any more. Hired help is truly hard to find! 4 whole years! What's a mother to do? :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Russ

:winking:

Geez! 4 years, I guess ya just can't trust anybody any more. Hired help is truly hard to find! 4 whole years! What's a mother to do? :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Russ

Now wait a minute. The original was made MORE than 150 years ago. He could be right on the money.

On the other hand, he could be 10 years off in the other direction. :blah:

Back