• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC correct leather workings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been browsing for quite awhile now. Tomorrow I get my first muzzle loader kit, a Traditions Kentucky Flint lock. I'll leave the story for an introduction post, but basically in celebration I took to some leather workings today.

Surely there is a place somewhere which displays period (honestly any from 1700-1880) leather workings. Could anyone point me towards that direction? I've looked around and found a little but not to the extend I was hoping for.

Here is my first attempt at a ball bag. I have never used one and expect there will be plenty of readjustments to come. There is no sling because I believe it will stay in my hunting bag.

I'd love some critique, especially regarding period styles and function. I implemented a filed down antler for the stopper. Is the stitching PC? I also made a canteen from a Knob Creek glass bottle, but it is being dyed in coffee tonight. Hopefully I'll get pics up tomorrow. Thanks!

That is a fine looking bullet pouch! Your stitching is just fine (it is called a saddle stitch) and everything looks right. A good place to start looking for period correct bags and accouterments is right here on this forum - check out some of Swampy's bags. Also, do a search on the Contemporary Long Rifles site - there are some wonderful artists there (Clay Smith of Williamsburg's bags come to mind. Nicely done!

Black Dave

I think if you do as Black Dave suggested and research styles from published literature. It won't take long for you to gain the skill and knowledge about leatherwork of the 18th and 19th Centuries. Period stitching hasn't changed all that much! http//wwwtrackofthewolf.com has many books and leather item examples and reference material etc.

JMHO
Rick :thumbsup:

Thanks for the commliments. I guess I was wondering if a saddle stitch using a punch instead of an awl is correct. I was tempted to get the books, but with all the recommendations, I guess I'll have to do it! :wink:

Here is the ball bag with the canteen I talked about

necchi said:
Hey you do some nice work there gicts :thumbsup:

What did ya use to get the polish after staining?
Thanks! For both of these I used an oil dye which I polished and followed with a single coat of Tan-Kote http://www.fiebing.com/Top_Finishes.aspx (bottom of page). The flash from the camera gives the leather an extra shine that is not there in person. The single coat makes me comfortable to use the leather in wet conditions and take a little abuse. For an extreme gloss and waterproofing spray I use the Saddle Lac seen on the same page. I'm certain neither of those are authentic :redface: but I guess I'll use what I am comfortable with until I can get some books and start learning what others used in previous generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's a saddle stitch. It's a real nice, tight, straight, close stitch but it looks to me like a single running stitch. Looks like there's leather showing in between each stitch.

A saddle stitch uses two needles going in opposite directions thru the same set of holes. You put a needle at each end of the length of thread and poke one thru the first set of holes, pulling the thread thru to center. Then poke one of the needles thru the next hole and snug up. The other needle then goes thru the same hole in the other direction. Pull tight and repeat at the next hole. The two needles cross at each set of holes.

A running stitch uses just one needle going from side to side. Half of a saddle stitch,

Whatever stitch it is, that's some good lookin' gear. :thumbsup:

I like a round punch better that the diamond point awls myself. It's mostly personal preference, whatever works for you and makes a good looking seam.

Latest posts

Back