• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patterns for possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, that's one subscription due to my actions. I want my cut.

(Ol' StumbleBuff is thinkin about now he'd like to give me a cut, all right).

003indn.jpg

Hey, that's one subscription due to my actions. I want my cut.

(Ol' StumbleBuff is thinkin about now he'd like to give me a cut, all right).

:yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak::yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak: :yakyak:

Guys, This thread is about "patterns for a possible bag"
not about SB's magazine. Let's get back to the original thread or start your own magazine thread somewhere else.

Fearnot

I recently decided that I needed a new possibles bag. I started by finding a picture of what I wanted. I then photo copied it, and using the copier I enlarged it until I had the size I wanted. I then took some old file folders and made myself a pattern I could tape together to see how it would look. If you want at this point you can add your own personal touch. When I stich a bag together I use waxed thread, and stich 1/8" apart using a figure 8 stich. One thread with a neddle on each end. This leaves a nice clean stich which is strong. For me the enjoyment is creating your own pattern, testing it and then making it. I hope this helps.

Falsears

Guys, This thread is about "patterns for a possible bag"
not about SB's magazine. Let's get back to the original thread or start your own magazine thread somewhere else.

Sorry Deadeye, I was worried that it would come to this. Won't happen again.

:peace:

Stumblin

Possibles Bags are simple in form. The patterns previously mentioned are good ones.
Buckskinner Magazine's December issue sold out twice i was told. I sure hope the February issue comes out on time since I just signed on with them as an advertiser!
I got their December issue by email as it was their premier issue. They evidently are growing very fast in subscribership.

The book of buckskinning series had some good patterns and the leathermans site makes good bags pictures are a great help with ideas

No reflection on the pattern in the magazine, but...

Just make your own pattern. It ain't rocket science.

Is this a short duration single day hunt bag or a big bag for longer trips?

Are you wanting some slots and pockets for special tools?
Plan this out before you start sewing and plan out where you want these to go.

Decide whether you want a simple side stitched bag or do you want to add a strip for the sides for a fatter bag?

How big of a flap do you want to hang over? Are you shooting for speed or do you want maximum cover from the elements?

Speaking of the flap, you can look at your inventory for a fur on hide for the flap as this adds weather resistance and interest.

Consider your knife and other items. My measure hangs from my bag by a thong.

Test your ideas out on some fabric -- pillow ticking or denim should work. You can use it for a game bag, cut it into shooting patches or give it to the kids. I use mine for a haversack or as a game bag. I put a plastic bag inside and cart the tree rats out in it.

Push your skills and decorate the cloth and learn from this as well.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Being a neophyte, the article by Wayne Zurl in the mag helped me immensely on my first leather project. Got it just in time. I StumBuff up for sainthood yet?? :) :)

Regards, sse

I think if the Buckskinner mag. has information 'bout make'n "possible bags", it's as fair to discuss the magazine, as to discuss the Buckskin'n "Series"!! :imo: :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

The Buckskinner article has inspired me to try a little leather work. I need an awl and needles, thread or sinew, a stitching wheel and of course leather. Is there anything else? What is an edge beveler? (Zurl's article mentions them).
I have seen an needle type thing with a spool on it for stitching. Is that a good idea to get?
I would be grateful for any tips you gentlemen ( I use that word loosely :thumbsup: :haha:) can pass along. :master:
Thanks ahead of time. :redthumb:

The Buckskinner article has inspired me to try a little leather work. I need an awl and needles, thread or sinew, a stitching wheel and of course leather. Is there anything else? What is an edge beveler? (Zurl's article mentions them).
I have seen an needle type thing with a spool on it for stitching. Is that a good idea to get?

You don't really need much... You can get by with a home-made awl, just epoxy a sharpened brad in a dowel. A stitching wheel is nice, but not needed if you got a good eye for spacing and sew the leather damp. Likewise the edge beveler. Nice to have for marking a constant line from the edge, but not a requirement to produce a quality job. There's also a stitching channel tool, makes a cut groove to sew in. Again- nice but not required.

What you DO need more than anything are the best needles you can find. Bad or cheap needles will make life MISERABLE. My favorite is one with a diamond shaped tip, and if you can find them- a large 2" curved surgical needle works great. Use plenty of beeswax on the thread, and repeat as needed as it wipes off while you sew.

Double-needle stitching will give a much better result than the spool gadget thingy, and it's worth it in the long run. The Wonder-Awl (I think that's what they're called) makes a lock stitch that imitates a sewing machine stitch. Works OK, but can pull out at the worst possible time and can be a royal pain in the posterior to keep JUST the right amount to tension on the thread.

Couple of other tools that I found useful...
an old polished antler tine- gotta be smooooooooth as silk or it wont work. I use it to burnish the leather edge and flatten out the stitches. A little warmed beeswax on the tine, and lots of elbow grease and that seam will look like glass.
If you plan on doing a LOT of sewing a stitching pony is real helpful addition to the tool list. It helps keep tension on the thread, acts as a third and fourth hand holding the work, and makes stopping mid-project much easier when everything is held in place and not flopping around the workbench.

vic

I think the hole spacer would be extremely useful to have, but not because I can't punch the holes fairly evenly by hand. If you are using heavy leather, or the pattern was cut less than precisely into the leather front and back of the item, plus a welt, it is nightmare to sew. This is especially so, if the pieces are punched seperately, or just two of the three together. With a spacer, you can line up the first hole on each of the items and ALL the holes will lines up well for each of the pieces. It is terrible trying to line up the holes to poke the needle through as you sew. You might be able to get two of three free-hand punched holes to line up, but that third one is a pain.

The curved needles are also extrememely useful since you can push the needle through the holes with your thumb on the back of the curve.

Regards, sse

I think the hole spacer would be extremely useful to have, but not because I can't punch the holes fairly evenly by hand. If you are using heavy leather, or the pattern was cut less than precisely into the leather front and back of the item, plus a welt, it is nightmare to sew. This is especially so, if the pieces are punched seperately, or just two of the three together. With a spacer, you can line up the first hole on each of the items and ALL the holes will lines up well for each of the pieces. It is terrible trying to line up the holes to poke the needle through as you sew. You might be able to get two of three free-hand punched holes to line up, but that third one is a pain.

The curved needles are also extrememely useful since you can push the needle through the holes with your thumb on the back of the curve.

Regards, sse

Yeah, sse is right on the money. I hadn't thought of that. My humble apologies for any misinformation I might have passed along.

vic

Ditto what Vic said.

I use a roping palm and sailmaker's needles for my leather work.

Linen thread is worth the effort to find. Beeswax it by drawing it through the cake and then twist it tight and run it through your fingers to friction heat the wax in. Or, wax it and roll it awat from you down your leg (wear pants if tou have hairy legs or you'll dub a furry chenielle yarn doing this).

A scratch-awl and a piece of 1 x 4 about 18" long as a backstop and working platform is handy when poking holes in the leather. The "pounce" wheel is handy, but not necessary. An adjustable grooving tool ...

8074.jpg

Grooveruse.jpg

... is kind of nice to give you a trough to follow and produce a tight seam (and it looks much better where the threads show - like on a knife sheath). I use one of these to add pinstripes along the edges on some pouches to give a nice "pro" look. I don't have an edger, but if you're careful a razor blade pushed along the edge of the piece setting on the edge of thet 18" work surface can skeeve the edge well enough, as can 60 grit sandpaper on a sanding block.

A sharp awl and a dull needle (or two) are easier to work with than the sewing-awl. An official pair of leather shears (like scissors, but one blade is SHARP and has a shallow edge) are nice.

Use manila folders to work out the pattern. MUCH cheaper to work out your boo-boos on them than the leather.

If you get the leather damp before you sew the threads will sink in once it dries, protecting them. Put in a few "darts" to hold the pieces together as you work on them. Just overhand knots in strategic places along the seam.

Here's some good "How To" sites.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft11.htm

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft29.htm

http://www.earlsleather.com/how_to_page.htm

I was advised that a good way to wax the thread is to melt the wax, I used beeswax in a coffee can in a pan of water, and drop the entire spool in the wax. Soaks up the wax pretty quick. Next time add more wax to the can and your ready to go.

Regards, sse

I like the groover also, but for another reason. I do not want my stitching to wear so easily. Being down in the groove keeps the leather from being the point of greatest wear.

As to getting the holes all lined up, I cheat and use a drill press.

1. Groove with a steel rule as a rough guide.

2. I use a stitching wheel (The one with the interchangeable wheels) to mark the spacing of the holes.

3. I use a drill press to drill the holes. (I make a fence with some wood and a pair of C clampsto use as a guide to help line the work up quicker.) 1/64th is my most common.

In some cases (such as a wallet) I drill the holes through multiple pieces all at once, but in others (hard leather cartridge boxes) I drill them separately and the stitching brings them together later.

I got a huge spool of linen thread from Cheaper Than Dirt a while back and thought that it would last forever, but it is running low and they sold out. Anyone got another source?

YMHS,
CrackStock

CrackStock - I got mine from Dixie Gun Works, but I have also seen it on websites of any number of sutlers who sell these types of accessories, i.e. Log Cabin, Crazy Crow, to name a few.

Regards, sse

Back