• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patriot misfires

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teach

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Patriot in 45 cal,it takes two hammer falls to fire. I have changed the nipple,ensured the cap is seated, the spring tension feels OK , the hammer falls square on the cap.Do have any suggestions as to what the problem could be ? :hmm:

Teach,
Did you put the same brand of nipple on when you changed it? Sounds like the nipple is the problem. The first hammer strike is "seating" the nipple and then the second strike fires it. :imo:
pappydean

You say you have "ensured the cap is seated" and I take that to mean the cap goes almost all the way on the nipple freely and only the last tiny little bit does it require pushing it on.

IMO, that's the way the cap should fit.
If it goes about half way on and then stops and your shoving it further on until you can shove no more, then I must agree with the others. Your caps are not seating properly.

Different cap companys may provide caps that are just a little larger than the ones your using. If you can't find other brands to try, you can machine the nipple.

No, I am not expecting you to go out and buy a $1500 lathe. If you have a electric hand drill with a 3/8 inch chuck and a fine toothed flat file, your in business!
Remove the nipple from the gun and place it into the drills chuck with the coned "cap" end out.
You are going to "machine" this cone down just a little bit.
It won't take much to make a difference.

It is best if the chuck jaws are grabbing the outside body of the nipple, not the threads.
If you don't have a drill with a 3/8 inch chuck and you must grab the threads, do not overtighten the jaws. They should be just tight enough to prevent the nipple from slipping or coming out of the chuck. You won't be applying much pressure.
Now with the drill in forward position (if it's a reversable drill) and the chuck pointed to your right, lay the file on the top side of the cone of the nipple and start the drill.
Apply a little pressure to the file and push it forward once.
Now try your cap to check the fit.
If it still isn't seating fully, do the drill and file thing again.
After a few of these "adjustments" the cap should fit fairly freely almost all the way down to the seated position.

That should fix your problem.

Also, I have found that some locks are rather sensitive to proper lubrication.
It might be a good idea to remove the lock and oil the sear pivot, and the tumbler/hammer shaft using a light machine oil or a good gun oil.
If your lock has a "fly" in it (it's on the tumbler and it's really little) don't use heavy oils on it.

By failing to fire, do you mean the cap or main charge?

If you have a tapered nipple and straight walled caps, it will feel like a good fit, but will set on first strike and fire the cap on the second.

CS

Depending on how much metal you need to take off the nipple, you may be able to just use some fine wet/dry sandpaper made for metal.

I have been shooting a.45 Patriots for years. Never had
a problem. If it has the orginal nipple it takes a
number 11 CCI and works fine. They do not do well with
the import caps. They seem to be too hard and do not
go down on the nipple.

:redthumb:

Thanks gents for all of info. I had a look at the nipple,it had a tiny burr at the top,couldn't see it till i took it off.
Been using CCI #11 caps,and they work OK on my wifes Patriot.I was leaning towards a weak spring.I'M sure that's gonna fix the problem.
Sure appreciate the prompt advice.
Cheers Teach :thanks:

My Patriot had the same problem when new. Turning down the nipple usually will help but in this case it didn't. A stronger spring fixed mine.

Deadeye, I see you are a gunsmith in Utah. I tried to
E-mail you no luck. Contact me.

Redwing :redthumb:

I just shot two 25yd matches with mine yesterday, each ten shots. Took 20 falls of the hammer for each ten shots (CCI caps). Kind of frustrating. I pulled the nipple, and tried hand filing a little off between targets, and didn't help much.

Gonna try Zonie's method (have used it for many other tasks in the past), and then see about getting a stiffer main spring.

That baby sure does shoot nice otherwise. 25gr FFFg, .445rb, and .015" patches. After five shots on my second target, I had a 10, and four 10x's, then I proceeded to botch the target, and ended up with 90-4x. :cry: Oh well, it was fun anyway.

Java Man

:hatsoff:That's some nice shootin Java Man.I use the same method on my nipples,does a nice job.I called T/C today they did'nt have any new springs in stock but are sending a couple of used ones,my wife's pistol is starting to do the same,about every 4th or 5th shot.
:thanks:for all the help this the best site for good advice.
Cheers Teach.

Teach,

I think the nipple on mine is the biggest problem. Once the cap is seated nice, it always goes off the second drop of the hammer.

Good luck,

Gregg

Teach,

I think the nipple on mine is the biggest problem. Once the cap is seated nice, it always goes off the second drop of the hammer.

Good luck,

Gregg

Try splitting the side of the cap before you put it on. You can do this with scissors. If that takes care of the problem, you nipple is too big of a diameter.

Back