• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patent date 1818, Hall flintlock ‘breech loading’ rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
99DEAAF4-BBFA-43F4-997E-7A75C88F3285.jpeg
10700B36-D641-4120-9422-55D76E7A8848.jpeg
453F2D6B-A905-4035-B103-0F8824E93E5A.jpeg
780E44A5-C682-450E-A854-EB51AC4615AE.jpeg

I find these black powdah arms fascinating, so many “1sts” ... 1st breechloader issued to a standing army, 1st rifle with a receiver, 1st ambidextrous use firearm, and 1st item truly manufactured with interchangeable parts. Eli Whitney got the credit, but parts within his cotton gin would only interchange within those of the same production run.

John Hall is also credited with inventing the micrometer, horizontal milling machines, and the modern thread forms we still use today. A bolt purchased today would fit one of his rifles made in 1819. In fact, the 1st 100 rifles he submitted for the military acceptance trials passed, then were taken apart and put into separate piles of same pieces. Assemblers - not gunsmiths - then took a part from each pile randomly and re-assembled all 100 rifles ... and they too all passed the acceptance and firing tests!

I have 2 originals, 1 each in flintlock and percussion ignition, each as issued. And fireable, as they are a hoot to shoot! Just look at that bore on the flint model ... still looks NEW! The clearances between the breechface & breechblock is just a few thousands of an inch.

Hi Flint

That's some very interesting information about John Hall. Had no idea. And, that Hall rifle of yours appears in seriously nice condition. Must be a blast to load and shoot. A different loading experience. How do you go about loading her ?
Rick

How do you go about loading her?
The service load of the rifles was a 0.525” paper patched ball over 80 to 100-grns FFg. I have both 520s & 525s and lube them w/ a 50-50 mix of olive oil & beeswax. I also take it easy on the old girls by using 1Fg powdah, that fills the powder chamber and gives a lower pressure.

Sadly and most surprisingly to me, for all of its impressive machining, I’ve seen better sights on Red Ryder BB guns! The sights are offset < 3/8” to the left side of the receiver and at the end of the barrel, but the rear sight is a crude V notch and the front sight a large block, somewhat rounded on top, and shaped like a stop or catch for a bayonet on an earlier military musket.

The machining on the action parts is flawless for early 1800s and there’s even an adjustable screw on the tumbler to reduce the sear engagement.

Back