• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote is a flinch. 100gr of FFFg is a pretty stout load. But thenit depends on the guns weight, butt plate size, etc. You could back it off 10gr, and 20gr and see if there is much difference. Just one option.

Java Man

I am with Javaman, Lenny. I think you may be flinching, because that is a stout load. Try backing that load down 20 grains, or even 25 grains and see how the gun groups. You don't want to be beating your should up with your gun. That is not recreation. Yeah, there are some tough guys out their who like beating on their shoulders all day with large loads, but they are rarely in the winner's circle. At the very least, try 2F powder rather than the FFFg you are now shooting. Are you using a card wad on top of the powder? IF not, that can also explain the large groups.

well i never ruled flinching out because it is my first flintlock, I just thought it was weird that i could flinch that cosistant. now my question is wich way would it be off on a flinch? the stray shots would usualy be low right. the 100 grain fff isnt a shoulder killer for me at all. shot 50 shots in 4 or 5 hours no big deal

Low and to the right would be a pretty good indicator of a flinch for a right handed shooter, Lenny. And, yes, when you have a flinch, you can throw the shots fairly consistently, albeit into a wider group. Shoot the gun from a rest, first at 25 yds, and then at 50 yds, with the gun braced both under the forestock, and at the buttstock, so that you only have to support the butt with your shoulder, and then pull the trigger. If you are still shooting low and left, you have a problem with your sights. Ask a buddy to shoot 3-5 shots to see where the gun shoots for him. If it is also shooting low and left, adjust your sights.

Then, back that load down to one used to shoot targets. 50 shots in an afternoon is a lot of shooting, Lenny, with a muzzle loader. This is not a .22 rimfire where shooting a brick of ammo in an afternoon is considered a good workout!

Back