• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patched round ball rot experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've posted quite a bit lately, trying to gain wisdom from the experience of others. I'm researching on getting a .54cal barrel for a stock (old plains rifle, one wedge style like the trade rifle) and it seems the trade rifle barrel will be a drop-in, while a GM, rice, rayle, etc will need the breech-plug and wedge-pin tenon(?) installed. The trade barrel comes in 1:48. I prefer a 1:70. Who has shot the 1:48 with prb and with what success in accuracy?

ok sinner I asume your working on a lyman? I my self havn't shot one. a good friend of mine has one with the 1&48 twist he gets sub moa groups off the bench with it :thumbsup: he shoots 40 grain of goex FFFg a 530 cast ball and a .015 spit patch of pillow ticking

Wow! that sounds pretty respectable. Yes, I'm working on an older lyman plains rifle.

The 1-48's work just fine. Everyones milage is different of course, but you can expect one hole groups at 50 and opening too 4-6" at 100 depending on your eyes, the open sights, and the shooters abilities.
I've had the most luck with a dryish, tight fitting patch.

DSC00026.jpg

I have a T/C Renegade with a 1 in 48 that gave me 3-ish inch groups at 100 yards with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS, a .530 ball, and .015 prelubed patches.

This was its / my 1st Muzzle Loader deer season with it:

MUZLELOADERHUNTINGELGIN2008022.jpg

There are differences between the Lyman and Green Mountain barrels other than just the rate of twist. The Lyman barrel has grooves only .004-.005" deep as a compromise for both balls and bullets, and really more for bullets. The Green Mountain barrel is strictly a patched ball barrel with grooves .012" deep. If you intend to shoot patched balls exclusively you'll find the Green Mountain barrel to be much better. I have replaced quite a few T/C and Lyman barrels with Green Mountain, both for myself and for other shooters and in every case the owner was impressed with the improvement in accuracy.
I think you have been misinformed on the Green Mountain Drop in barrels. One made for a T/C will fit a Lyman Trade Rifle every bit as well. On any rifle, Lyman or T/C, it may be necessary to do some final fitting of the under lug and under rib but it is minor. I think someone is confusing your "Plains Rifle" with the later "Great Plains Rifle which is a different critter entirely.
Now of course, if you were to buy just a "barrel blank" it would need the proper breech plug underlug, sights and rib installed but the "Drop-ins" have all of that, even though they don't exactly "drop in".

Only the Great Plains Hunter has shallow rifling, .007 The Trade rifle and Great Plains have .010 deep rifling.

I get just as good accuracy out of my 1:48 as I do my 1:70. You have to do the work to find what load your barrel prefers.
All loads are not created equal.

HD

In my experience, when heavy charges are used on larger calibers, the slower twists and deeper rifling tend to be more accurate.

A .54 barrel w/ .005 to .007 rifling and a 1/48 twist will require a VERY tight ball and patch combo to shoot

Trot said:
Only the Great Plains Hunter has shallow rifling, .007 The Trade rifle and Great Plains have .010 deep rifling.
My own Trade Rifle measures .500" bore and .509" groove diameter, making the groove depth .0045" by actual measurement, not quoting advertised specs. Green Mountain has made a great business of replacing T/C and Lyman barrels and I've never heard of anyone unhappy with the change. So if you have the option, why not start with the better choice?

Lots of theory behind twist rates, but that particular bucket is pretty leaky in my experience. I've got three 58 cal's with 1:48 twist that shoot like crazy. As well or better than the three 54 cals with 1:48 and two 50 cal with 1:48 I own, as a matter of fact. The theory sezz that shouldn't happen, and in fact accuracy should get worse as I go up in caliber. Doesn't happen.

Shallow versus deep rifling might be an issue with heavier loads, but since I use a fairly tight patch/ball combo in all eight of those rifles, it's not.

Work with your gun, experiment with the patch/ball/lube combo and powder charge/granulation, and I bet you'll have a gun that shoots better than you can.

The only accuracy problem I've seen with 1:48 twist is the guys shooting them. Only fix for it is for us (me too) to spend more time pressing triggers rather than computer keys.

Back