• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschain19

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my new Traditions Kentucky Pistol out yesterday and am having some trouble... I've been using .490 balls and .10 patches lubed with bore butter. I'm still having a heck of a time getting it jammed down the barrel, and I really feel like the .10 are still too thin... Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? What changes should I make? I'm still fairly new at muzzleloading, and its a whole different world that brass cartridges!

Your crown may be too abrupt and probably too sharp to boot.

If it's hard to load all the way down, your bore may be a bit undersize, which is not uncommon with the european made ml guns. I have an FIE ".45" caliber that requires a thin patch and a .431 ball!

You can get molds in .485 but maybe you could mooch some off forum members to experiment with.

If the loading is tight all the way down, I would start looking for a smaller ball. Find one that works with at least a .15 patch because I dont think you are going to get the same accuracy from the thinner patch.

I have a traditions Ketuckey in .50 as well. My .490 balls load simi hard with .15 patches, but I have gotten used to it and it really shoots well. To qualify what I mean by semi hard to load, I have a wooden short starter that I made from a 3" wooden ball. I start the patch and ball by tapping it in with the short start ball sort of like a mallet. One shot with the short start and then the rest of the way down with the provided ramrod. It takes a little effort to seat the ball with the ramrod, but it can be done in one smooth motion.

Clear as mud? :wink:

While you may, or may not have an undersize bore, IMHO, in cool, dry weather the yellow miracle lubes don't work.

I suggest trying spit, Windex, or Hoppies # 9 Plus lube.

If you are using the ramrod that came with the pistol, it is going to be hard. I have a stainless steel range rod that is about 3" longer than the barrel with a wood ball on the end. I use a short starter because the muzzle on these pistols is tight. The best thing for these pistols is a combination short starter with a ram rod long enough to drive the ball home. I used to have one years ago that I sold, wish I still had it now. If you plan on shooting in the field with the ramrod provided, find some undersized balls that will get down the barrel without much difficulty. I get great accuracy out of mine with about 23 grains of fffg. I shoot .490 and .495 balls with .015 patch.

Back