• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know WM sells pillow ticking and have some I was just wondering if any of you guys know of a fabric supplier that sells linen and maybe some other fabrics that check the thickness and so on for and sell a few yards at a shot ?

I have never seen any linen yard goods for sale locally, but any I have seen on the internet seem to go for about $18 a yard, and then you don't have the option of measuring the thickness until you have it in hand. That is a little rich for my blood, considering the ticking can be had for $4 a yard, and works fine.

Guys I know linen can be pricy I was curious as to a company that can provide's or speciallizes in helping the black powder shooters out ya know has a knowledge of the sport and cater's to their requests

Between the regular shirts, hunting shirts, rifle frocks, capotes, greatcoats and patch fabric I am on a first name basis with the girls at JoAnnes Fabrics.

They do not even stare when I bring in my calipers to measure the patch material!

At the local fabric shops you will find about any sort of 100% natural patch material you desire, and you can buy as little or as much as you wish, right down to a 12" strip for experiments. Yep 1/3 -1/4 yard without batting an eye.

Linen usdually goes for between $4-$8 per yard if you catch it in season. It is considered a summer weight fabric and they sometimes run out at this time of year and do not reorder until next spring.

:front:

At the local fabric shops you will find about any sort of 100% natural patch material you desire, and you can buy as little or as much as you wish, right down to a 12" strip for experiments.

Find you some silk-extra 20 yards. :front:
(It's made from worms)

LH, Get a micrometer and measure everything yourself. Even
oxyoke precut patches that are marked .018 I've measured some that were .012 and some that were .015, never found any that were .018. I buy pillow ticking at walmart, .015.

Which pillow ticking are you buying at WM? The blue stripe that I bought measures 20 to 22 thousanths. I would love to find some in the 15 to 18 range.

Get to know the girls at Jo Ann's Fabricks. I get the #40 cotton drill. It has been consistently 0.017" thick after washing and drying. I think the weave is tighter than pillow ticking. It works better for me.

There's a fabric store that caters to quilters in my town. This is where I buy my linen, usually at about $8.00-$11.00 per yard. They know be by my first name, and don't think it amiss when I come in with a caliper in my hip pocket. ::

But that doesn't help you, unfortunately. You might try looking for locally owned fabric stores that cater to quilters.

Cruzatte

I can picture Kenton, Girty and Lewis Witzel walking into Morgan's trade post at Pittsburg with a set of digital calipers!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I do not have the benefit of knowing how to use a micrometer to measure thickness of pillow ticking at Walmart and your comment that it is .015 has me asking you if that is the blue stripe or the red stripe ticking. I guess I could buy some and try it but since you brought it up........... :master:

I picked up some of the red stripe pt at wmart if I recall right it comes out to .018 . Seams to work well enough testing some diff lube I have used a ballistol water mix and let it dry works decent. I'll see what turns up

I recently bought out the remainder of a blank of the red and white pillow ticking at wal-mart. It measured out to .018

I do however wash before cutting into my shooting strips for use.

Work great for me.. Have shot in a couple differnt .50 cal's and my .58 musket. After many of my shots as I always do... I check a few of my patches that are laying on the ground. All check out great!

I bought some real tight weave plain cotton muslin at Wal Mart. The lady said it was the same thickness as the cotton pillow tick. I was shopping for some of that duck cloth they use to make pockets in jeans, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I have not had a chance to try this muslin out yet, but it should be interesting to say the least.

Back