• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch and ball rifles are not ideal hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This threat is a statement as well as an open discussion. After 3 season hunting with various muzzloading arms, I've come to the conclusion that patch and ball rifles are inferior in every way to a rifled musket. If you are still using a patch and ball, GET RID OF IT. Your paying thousands of dollars for a inferior rifle. Get a military rifled musket!!!

A rifled musket has the advantage in potential range, speed of loading, and better sights. Why bother using a fixed sight, patch and ball for 50 yard shooting when I can have a conical firing rifle that can shoot 50 AND 300 yards?

First of all, where I live THERE ARE NO 300 YARD SHOTS. We either pattern the deer, or are able to actually "hunt" and track the deer for a close, humane shot. Second, if you practice and are actually competent with your gun, it only takes one shot, so NO NEED for "speed of loading". Third, my smoothbore has no rear sight, and I have practiced with it , so I DON'T need any better sight. And a patched round ball has killed MANY deer just as dead as any conical, and my choice of gun is NOT INFERIOR in any way shape or form to any military rifled musket. In fact, I have, on occasion, beaten said muskets on the firing line with my smoothbore trade gun, much to the shame of the guys shooting the muskets.

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Also succinctly stated as: Don't argue with idiots, first they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience . 😄

Just a troll. Wonder what he planned to do with the the Jaeger that he ran the "wanted" ad for.

This threat is a statement as well as an open discussion. After 3 season hunting with various muzzloading arms, I've come to the conclusion that patch and ball rifles are inferior in every way to a rifled musket. If you are still using a patch and ball, GET RID OF IT. Your paying thousands of dollars for a inferior rifle. Get a military rifled musket!!!

A rifled musket has the advantage in potential range, speed of loading, and better sights. Why bother using a fixed sight, patch and ball for 50 yard shooting when I can have a conical firing rifle that can shoot 50 AND 300 yards?
You have got a lot of responses that have disagreed with your statement.
I have not killed any hunted game since 1975 with any thing but a patched round ball, or shot from an ml. I have killed some ‘possums with a .22 pistol that were causing trouble in my yard.
But your right. No one can argue a round ball rifle is equal to a good rifles musket, and a Whitworth(?) hexagonal bore ‘snipers’ rifle even superior to your best musket.
Of course a fine modern hunting rifle even better.
We play this game for the experience.
Just last week I was on a day trek. It was 38 degrees, it had rained and was misty. I made a fire and had some coffee on the trail. Had to start the fire several times before it ‘took’.
I have a bic lighter as an emergency. I could have used that and been better, but that would have spoiled the experience for me. Last November I trekked and made a camp wrapped in one wool blanket and a pile of damp leaves and cedar boughs. I stayed warm but I’m sure a down sleeping bag would have been better.
Freeze dried mre would be a whole lot easier then the camp meals I carry. Takes near half an hour to make hasty pudding. I could have my MRE and be all done in the time it takes to make the pudding.
That’s not the point. It’s my whole experince, I think I’ll keep bouncing pumpkin balls out of my smoothies even though they are grossly inferior

Well, guys, I'm definitely convinced. He's absolutely right. All my guns and accoutrements aren't worth a nickel.

I'll sell the whole lot for 4 cents?

Any takers?
I don’t want to rip you off, I’ll pay a nickel for each one of your gun and each piece of your equipment and pay shipping to boot. You take pay pal?😂

Why would anyone want your inferior guns. They obviously aren't even worth that much. I'll give you 4 cents to take mine.

10 acres, as a respectable member of this forum, I would gladly offer you a 3 cent discount, and take all of your goods off your hands and you can throw the penny in your favorite possibles bag where I'll be able to find it.

Because I want to. Even built a flint trade gun 20ga smooth bore. Kinda like going from a compound bow to a recurve to a self bow.

Furthest prb deer kill was 93 yards one shot DRT w a .50 open sighted long rifle. Hell, I have a 2 band Parker-Hale (Brit made) I use in competition but not inclined to hunt with it.

If you can’t make a humane kill with a prb get a plastic stocked, scoped gee whiz in one of the new sizzle boomer calibers. Don’t forget the tripod rest.

Enjoy your choice.

Just when I thought I was doing good, being able to kill over 100 deer with a bow and arrow at distances of less than 40 yards. Someone comes along to tell me I need a big gun to do it. manure.😪
20 yards this year on ground with string and pointy
IMG_20210114_194801.jpg

Three possibilities:

1. OP honestly believes his statement.
2. OP doesn't really believe what he's saying, and he just wants to give us the chance to show how wrong such a statement is.
3. OP is trolling.

And three possible answers:

1. If it works for you, then go with it, but realize that it may not suit the needs and wants of someone else, and respect their right to go their own way.

2. People have hunted just about every animal on Earth with great success for a very, very long time with rifles shooting patched balls, so that speaks for itself. Certainly an elongated bullet has advantages, particularly for longer range shooting, but at the ranges more typically encountered when hunting with MLs the patched ball does fine. If I got an urge to shoot an animal at 300 yards, I'd use a modern rifle with a scope. The limitations of traditional ML shooting are a big part of the appeal for many, just as it is for those who shoot traditional archery.

Why would anyone limit themselves with a deep-grooved, slow twist rifle with fixed sights, shooting a patched ball when "superior" rifles are available? The same reason someone would limit themselves by using a longbow with wooden arrows and fixed broadheads instead of a modern compound bow with sights, a trigger release, and expanding broadheads with twice the cutting diameter: because they want to; because they enjoy old fashioned ways of doing things and find that these old ways still work very well (which they indeed do if one is willing to put in the time required to master the tools and techniques).

For many of us, doing things the "hard" way both connects us with our distant ancestors in a tangible way and allows us a break from the ever accelerating changes in the world we live in, and the push for everyone and everything to be better, faster, stronger, prettier, more efficient, etc., etc. It's a way of stopping the ride and getting off for a moment to collect your thoughts, ponder what's truly important in life, enjoy the beauty of Creation or the beauty of Nature (depending on your belief system) and just kick back. And yes, doing things the "hard" way can be a way of kicking back, as it forces you to focus intently on something you really enjoy and pushes all other thoughts from your mind.

3. No comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back