• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

partially stripped bolt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinStar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a partially stripped lock bolt that goes through the bolster. It's a 10/32. What's the best remedy? Or should I get a new lock plate and bolt and re-do the entire thing?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

If the lock plate threads are still serviceable and only the bolt threads are damaged, you could just replace the bolt. Find another 10-32 bolt that you can screw into the lock plate, just to check the amount of play. If the threads are messed up in the lock plate, you'll need to drill and re-tap to the next larger size, and find an appropriate screw to fit it. What lock plate is it?

depending on the extent of the damage, I suspect a re- do may be in order ... it's the sort of thing that will just bug the #@*% out of you if you don't fix it ...

(don't ask me how I know) :redface:

make good smoke!

It's a Mold & Gun shop for their French trade gun. Same plate as the Davis Jaeger.

Does TOTW have a lock bolt one size larger?

I will check it out but others here may have other resources.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Correction: It is 8/32 thread not 10/32. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Also it is the first several threads in the inside of the plate and the screw is not stripped.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria

Easy peasy, replace with a 10/32 if it won't clean up.
Make sure you enlarge the hole and tang for plenty of clearance.

If you are dead set on using 8/32 welding up the lock plate and re drilling and tapping is an option. You may want to check and see about small helicoils but they may not be offered that small and it might stick out like a sore thumb.

Link thread repair

As was said...run an #8-32 tap through the hole, but if the threads are "buggered", start the tap from the opposite side. If the threads are OK, buy a new #8-32 lockbolt, but before installing drill out the clearance hole in the breech/tang bolster if there's interference.

If the #8-32 threads aren't OK, drill and tap for a #10-32 lockbolt, but again before installing, drill out the clearance hole in the breech/tang bolster if there's interference.......Fred

Track of the Wolf, has all sizes of bolts for the lock. You might have to buy one a little longer if you can't find the exact length. I usually have to cut or grind a little, to get an exact fit.

The bolsters on most modern locks are about .300 or so thick. If it has half the threads on the inboard side damaged, you still have .150 of good threads. The lock bolts should never be tightened with more than about three fingers of torque anyhow. It would probably last half a lifetime or so, using a new bolt. BJH

Back