• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parkerizing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BozoMiller

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone use a parkerized finish on the small parts, sights, trigger guard, screws, etc? I know it was used on a lot of metal years ago. Just asking

Yes ... waaaaaay off-topic for these forums, as parkerizing only works on steel and early arms were iron. The 1st issued US military arm to use steel barrels was the Hall breech-loading rifle from the Harper's Ferry Armory, in the later years (post 1840 ...).

It is not authentic for the time period and the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America was set up in 1915. The process didn't see much use till WW2
i knew that the Colt 1911's were parkerized during WW2, plus HD did a lot of parkerizing on their motorcycles during the 20's and 30's, so that explained a lot. Thank you.

There is gonna be more talk about modern finishes on this forum eventually. The traditions mountain rifle and most if not all of Pedersolis with browned barrels and hardware are all some sort of brown powder coating or cerakote brown finish now. My Pedersoli trade gun is finished with it. Won’t take long for others to follow. Whatever the stuff is Pedersoli is using now is much better than that painted brown finish that they used to use. That stuff would scratch off with a fingernail.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 117F6B7A-387F-4AD9-A632-0DF92AD0E2D9.jpeg
    117F6B7A-387F-4AD9-A632-0DF92AD0E2D9.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It is not authentic for the time period and the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America was set up in 1915. The process didn't see much use till WW2
BC its not " period correct " is NOT any reason that its not a great idea to utilize now. I'm having my sidelock projects Nitrided - EVERYTHING! Screw - period correct.

Bessemer steel. Bulk steel production was made possible by Henry Bessemer in 1855, when he obtained British patents for a pneumatic steelmaking process. (A similar process is said to have been used in the United States by William Kelly in 1851, but it was not patented until 1857.)
Encyclopedia Britannica › History
steel

Would have been around, the general cut off date for THIS FORUM is 1865.

Yes I know when the cut off date for this forum is as well as the history of steel. Parkerizing was patented 4 years after that cutoff date so it's very unlikely it would be originally found on any firearm built during this period.

"Parkerizing is a metal finishing process that was first developed by British inventors William Alexander Ross (British patent 3119) who filed a patent in 1869 and Thomas Cosslett (British patent 8667) in 1906. Cosslett was also granted a US patent for the process in 1907. This patent was based on an iron phosphating process using phosphoric acid. In 1912 an improved patent was filed in the US, based on the British iron phosphating process and issued to Frank Rupert Granville Richards. American, Clark Parker acquired the patents from Cosslett and Richards as he experimented with the process in the family kitchen."

"In 1915, Parker, along with his son Wyman, started the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America. In 1919, R. D. Colquhoun, of the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America, filed another upgraded phosphating patent application. The patented improved manganese phosphating technique was called Parkerizing."

Above from Chevy Hardcore News.

There is nothing to stop anyone from Parkerizing any or all of any firearm so long as he does not try to present it as being correct from our time period. Actually it's a very good finish as it retains oil applied to it for even more rust protection and using it on any gun in a non historical situation makes a lot of sense.

As an aside back in the 1960s I acquired most of the inventory of an old motorcycle repair shop including a lot of NOS Indian and HD parts. I had original shift levers for the WLA which were parkerized and with a black bakelite knob.

Last edited:
Yes I know when the cut off date for this forum is as well as the history of steel. Parkerizing was patented 4 years after that cutoff date so it's very unlikely it would be originally found on any firearm built during this period.

"Parkerizing is a metal finishing process that was first developed by British inventors William Alexander Ross (British patent 3119) who filed a patent in 1869 and Thomas Cosslett (British patent 8667) in 1906. Cosslett was also granted a US patent for the process in 1907. This patent was based on an iron phosphating process using phosphoric acid. In 1912 an improved patent was filed in the US, based on the British iron phosphating process and issued to Frank Rupert Granville Richards. American, Clark Parker acquired the patents from Cosslett and Richards as he experimented with the process in the family kitchen."

"In 1915, Parker, along with his son Wyman, started the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America. In 1919, R. D. Colquhoun, of the Parker Rust-Proof Phosphating Company of America, filed another upgraded phosphating patent application. The patented improved manganese phosphating technique was called Parkerizing."

Above from Chevy Hardcore News.

There is nothing to stop anyone from Parkerizing any or all of any firearm so long as he does not try to present it as being correct from our time period. Actually it's a very good finish as it retains oil applied to it for even more rust protection and using it on any gun in a non historical situation makes a lot of sense.
My bad. Wrong quote. Intended for a quote response to post 3.

Latest posts

Back