• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale 1858 Enfield .58 caliber, 2 band

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tac said:
The MLAGB P53 military match is shot at ranges from 100 to 600 yards - without cleaning the gun.
.... whilst the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB holds an annual match for Enfield rifles of any pattern, the Asquith Cup. This is an aggregate match of 15 shots fired at each distance, 600 and 800 yards. Great fun! :grin:

David

Do you wear glasses or use some other optical aid when shooting to help focus your eyes?

How firmly do you seat your minie on the powder charge?

The manual that came with my rifle states, "By two firm pressures, raising the ramrod about one inch on each occasion, ascertain that the bullet is resting on the powder. All blows which may dent the point of the bullet should be avoided. Uniformity of bullet seating is important"

I get the uniformity part, however, the last time I shot using FFFg I raised the ramrod at least two or three inches and used 5 blows to seat the minie.
The groups were much tighter and accurate.

I ordered 5 pounds of FFg, and that's arriving Monday. I'd like to try Fg sometime.

I thought I had been target practicing at 43 yds
but I measured yesterday and it was only 35 yds.

Now I accurately measured out 50 and 100 yds and have some tree stumps to shoot into.

I wear shooting glasses (have done for over twenty years) so I can see the foresight clearly.

I just give the bullet a couple of taps with the ram rod to be sure it is in place.

David

My latest attempt at accuracy. I was about 3 1/2" high with fine sight at 50 yds so I compensated.

I've got to be able to better than this, I think I'm getting a bit frustrated.

I may have been a little better with the FFFg at Post # 966709 but the fouling sure was hard and caked at the breech plug.

More practice I guess. Maybe I should try less powder?

100_0277.jpg

100_0278.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0280.jpg

100_0281.jpg

I think I'll try less powder next time.
I think I'm expecting the shot, pulling to the right. Maybe I need to hold the rifle more firm.

I know some rifles are only about 3 pounds of trigger pull.
Is there a way to lessen the trigger pull?

The scale I'm using has 5 grain increments.
I'll see if I can use someone elses scale.

Thanks for the tip.

don't remove the nipple just put a small piece of leather or rubber on top of the nipple to protect it. also, you might want to try shooting the gun without the rammer. it could be causing stress on the barrel.

I bought a second nipple and fired with caps...you'd be suprised how much you flinch with just the cap (no powder)....

Back