• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parched Corn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greetings:
I recently got some parched corn. It's great to just munch on but how about preparing it into some kind of hot meal. I tried soaking and boiling but without much luck. What works.

Rio

Rio,

Crunch it up and let it soak in your boiler overnight. Add hot water in the morning.

Charcloth.

It's very easy to make parched corn from frozen whole grain corn. If you are buying it already parched it's a lot cheaper to make it yourself.

Thaw it first. Spread it out (single layer)in a cast iron skillet and heat it up until it pops. It won't pop like pop corn. I like mine slightly brown.

You can parch feed corn the same way.

I was reading that when coffee was not available that early settlers would brew that stuff instead. I wonder what that was like. Also I haven't seen it or consumed it before. Is it like corn nuts ?

3 stinky dogs said:
I was reading that when coffee was not available that early settlers would brew that stuff instead. I wonder what that was like. Also I haven't seen it or consumed it before. Is it like corn nuts ?

Parched corn and Corn Nuts are quite different. "Corn Nuts" are made from hominy, which is corn soaked in a lye-water solution (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide), until the germ is removed and then roasted.

Parched corn is simply whole kernel corn (it can't be cut, like frozen "cut-corn), roasted in a pan until it swells and turns a light golden brown. It can be eaten as is, or added to soups and stews.

I just realized I never replied to the older post. Following the instructions, I hung a dozen ears in my garage for 3 weeks (southeren Cali). I heated them up in a skillet and presto! parched corn.

The only thing more magical was how quickly it disappeared!

Fillmore Shooter said:
I just realized I never replied to the older post. Following the instructions, I hung a dozen ears in my garage for 3 weeks (southeren Cali). I heated them up in a skillet and presto! parched corn.

The only thing more magical was how quickly it disappeared!

Southern CA? Heck, you're way up north. :winking:

Once parched the kernels are ground or pounded into meal. This meal is called by several names, including parched corn, no-cake, rockahominy, coal flour, and cold flour.

It is eaten as is followed by a drink of water, mixed with cold water and drank, cooked into mush, or pressed into cakes and baked. It can also be converted into pemmican with the addition of pounded berries and/or deer jerky, and sometimes was made into small balls with the addition of suet as a binder.

Simon Pure said:
Once parched the kernels are ground or pounded into meal. This meal is called by several names, including parched corn, no-cake, rockahominy, coal flour, and cold flour.

That's one thing you can do with it, but it's always been my understanding that once you grind it into flour, it is no longer called parched corn. Also, I believe "no cake" or "ho cakes" are what you call it after it's been mixed with liquid and cooked.

You can also leave it whole and simply eat it as is or add it to soup or stew.

Back