• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parch Corn/Corn Nuts??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA.1740

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have never had parch corn :redface: but came across some Roasted Corn Nuts,was wondering if they are the same or not :hmm:

No, they are not the same at all.

Corn Nuts are a "mutant" variety that is deep-fried (probably after being turned into hominy).

Parched corn is dry corn (corn on the cob or other varieties) that is shucked off the cob when dry. The kernels are then parched in a hot fry pan (with or without a bit of fat) until they "puff". They DO NOT pop open and look much like the unpopped kernels at the bottom of a bowl of popcorn. HOWEVER, they are much softer and easily eaten. They have a crunchy texture and a roasted/toasted corn flavor.

I know sweet corn is preferred. Has anyone used other types? (field corn, etc.)

OK, I am fixin' to try and make my first batch of parched corn and would like some advice. There are 6 ears of sweet corn hanging in my pantry to dry. The shucks have been removed to expose the kernels and they are hanging by the "stems", tip down. So far, so good? :confused:

How long do they need to dry? How long can I let them dry? How do I know when they are dry enough? Once dry, how long will they keep?

When I go to toast the corn in a fry pan, how hot should I make it? Once toasted, how do I store it and how long will it keep? If I add a little fat while toasting will it make a difference in how long it will keep?

Sound good so far.

There is no formula. You need to dry them until the corn is dry and you can easily shuck the kernels from the cob (a couple of weeks should do the trick....maybe). Once dry, they should last indefinately unless they get wet. I shuck the kernels and store them in a tin though you could just as easily leave them unshucked until you use them.

I turn my stove on med-high to high to get the pan hot (I use a small cast iron skillet). Add some oil (if you want) and the corn. I add enough so the kernels are not piled on each other. I keep the corn moving by a combination of shaking and stirring with a spoon and the corn will toast and most of them should puff. Remove to a bowl before they burn. I add a little salt and the oil helps it stick.

With sweet corn, once parched it seems to go stale so I stored the parched stuff in the freezer. It could be "re-vitalized" somewhat by judicious re-parching (gently) or toasting in a toaster oven. But even stale, the stuff will last quite some time once parched.

Once you master the parching, then try mixing your parched corn (either whole or crushed/broken) with maple sugar and walnuts. A very tasty treat on the trail or in camp....

Thanks Black Hand. I want to try making my own so I'll have a HC snack to take along hunting. :thumbsup:

Just last night I tried my first experiment with parched corn. I found some whole kernel white hominy corn at a bulk foods store. I lightly toasted it in my cast iron dutch oven (no grease or oil). It did turn out ok, but pretty darned boring! I would use it as a survival food yes, but as a pleasure food? ...Nope!

EASY TO PREPARE PARCHED CORN RECIPE:

Ingredients
1 bag frozen sweet kernal corn
Vegetable Oil or Pam non-stick cooking spray
Salt

Preparation
Thoroughly dehydrate frozen corn in a food dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, spread frozen corn in a single layer on a baking sheet and dry in the oven on its lowest setting (usually 150 degrees) until dry. Heat a skillet on low to medium low heat. Spray skillet with Pam or add a small amount of vegetable oil and spread lightly with a paper towel. The goal here is to use just enough oil to keep the corn from sticking, not to fry the corn in hot oil. Add a single layer of dried corn so that the bottom of the skillet is almost but not quite covered. Stir constantly and cook for a minute or so until corn is lightly browned. It will swell while browning but it will not burst open like popcorn. Dump finished batch on a paper towel covered plate to cool. Salt lightly if so desired.

Storage
I simply store mine in small cloth sacks that I made for the purpose while out woods running. If you keep it dry and away from vermin, it'll last a good long while. Parched corn doesn't really need any special storage consideration.

jbtusa said:
Just last night I tried my first experiment with parched corn. I found some whole kernel white hominy corn at a bulk foods store. I lightly toasted it in my cast iron dutch oven (no grease or oil). It did turn out ok, but pretty darned boring! I would use it as a survival food yes, but as a pleasure food? ...Nope!
As has been mentioned several time on the Forum, parched corn is made from whole kernel, dried corn. Not frozen "cut corn" or hominy, which is corn that has been soaked in alkali.

You can do anything you like to frozen corn or hominy, and enjoy it, but it will not be "parched corn".

Yes, and I forgot to mention that the whole kernel corn that I roasted is HARD! It will crack a tooth or bust a filling so be careful when snacking on it. I will boil it to soften it before eating. It's like hardtack... not very enjoyable, just survival food.

I actually like roasted whole soybeans much better. They are cheap and readily available. After roasting they are at least soft enough to snack on and are high protein.

jbtusa said:
Yes, and I forgot to mention that the whole kernel corn that I roasted is HARD! It will crack a tooth or bust a filling so be careful when snacking on it. I will boil it to soften it before eating. It's like hardtack... not very enjoyable, just survival food.
"Parched corn", when prepared using the correct ingredients, is not hard like "corn nuts" and is quite good, eaten as is, or added to soup or stew.

Back