• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper cartridge longevity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paleryder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to go out shooting my C&B revolver next weekend. I have never done paper cartridges. I have some Zig Zags and some phonebook paper and I'm going to try different methods and loads. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a shelf-life for these cartridges? Does the BP absorb any significant amount of moisture from the air that will effect ignition?

2) Any recommended way of storing them, either for long term or at the range?

I was going to get me one of those Civil War style ammo pouches. Thanks.

Todd

I have had them stored for 6 months and they worked fine.
Keep them in a large pill bottle with the silica dessicant package that comes in most pill bottles.
No water can get in and the silca packs will ensure dryness.

If you are using zig zags then you want to double up. Stick one to the other to make a larger wrap. I use top rolling papers as it is a bit thicker paper and not as easy to acidently rip. But I have ussed zig zag and American Spirit rolling papers with success.
When you go to load the paper carts be sure that you don't have any pieces of smoldering paper left in the chamber. You will get a rude surprise if you do.
Also be careful with paper cartridges made from rolling papers and phone book paper in dry areas. You could start a fire.
Not to long ago I ussed a few rolling papers as an over powder wad in one of my rifles and it came out on fire and set some grass on fire. I stomped it out fast enough but it shows the hazard.

have fun

I use Zig Zag and French Light 1-1/4" and even stuff a wad inside so I don't have to lube over the ball. I make them cone shaped and the ball is inside. The bottom is single layer and I use spit only, no glue to hold everything together. My failure rate during construction is about 1 in 24 and those are usually glued back together.

I lay five or six cigarette-paper cartridges side by side and then wrap them in ordinary kitchen aluminum foil(pseudo-tinfoil), making a little brick of them. These bricks are quite sturdy, and several can be tossed in the shooting pouch for a day's shooting.

I vary the number of rounds per brick depending upon my activity. Normally, I load six, but some matches only allow five rounds.

Back