• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Cartridge Longevity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long can paper cartridges with nitrate paper be kept and still usable?
If the paper is treated with pure and natural KNO³, dried perfectly flat and not hung, cut, sealed in an airtight container and stored in a perfectly dry place, you can keep it for a long time. The nitrated paper (pure KNO³) for my Sharps cartridges is made once a year and stored that way...

I process and cut a large batch of paper once a year, and take what is in the boxes when I make the cartridges...

PS :
If you are using kraft wrapping paper, put four (till it doesn't dissolve) tablespoons in a bowl of hot water (about 0.25 liter) and mix well to dissolve the potassium nitrate. Then let the paper soak overnight and let it dry.
Be careful, the potassium nitrate treatment weakens the paper, so do not hesitate to use thicker paper. With cotton and fine linen cloth, the dosage of nitrate must be increased.

Last edited:
I use RAW rolling papers and my rounds have lasted over a year with no issues. I use a beeswax and olive oil mix on the outside of the ball to prevent the line from leeching into the paper. Just keep the rounds away from moisture and you'll be fine.

on this one I have no idea. My paper cartridges usually last a day or two in the summer. In the winter a bit longer because it is too cold to be outside shooting. Load 'em, shoot 'em make more.
Hold Center
Bunk

Back