• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa Spring Turkey day one.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Any Pa turkey hunters out there? How'd you do this morning?

I met my buddy at the spot I had picked out at 4:40 am. Was running ten minutes late. He was in the parking area when I got there. Two other trucks were there as well. We headed to the area I had roosted a gobbler the other night and were setup by around 5:20. My son elected to hunt the back side of this property on the other side of the lake island about a half mile to our Northwest. I texted him around 5:45 and he said he was hearing birds. Shortly there after we too heard some birds off to our left. Probably the same ones he was hearing. Around 6:00 as was predicted the wind started kicking up pretty strong. Wx forecast was 15 gusting to 30 plus, and it was definitely on the plus side. As soon as the wind started to blow hard, the birds quit talking. We sat in this area until 7:30 ish, then decided to run and gun. We walked probably a mile or two, calling sparingly but to no avail. The wind was whipping the trees and it was hard to hear anything. I know from past experience on days like this its hard to get anything talking. I'd bet the birds pitched down into some protected hollow and stayed quiet. We left the area around 9:30 and headed out as my buddy had a prior commitment he had to maintain at 10:00. Not a bad morning, at least I got to hear some gobbling. Sure wish the wind hadn't kicked up and ruined things. Oh well there are more days left to hunt.

I’ve called them in in the wind, but it takes a lot of patience!! They hear better than we do! So they will come in but you just won’t hear them. They don’t talk as much but they keep doing what they are doing. They live in that stuff every day!

When the urge to breed hits, nothing slows them down! :)

Glad you got out! Can’t shoot the ol’ Thunder Chicken from the couch!!!

Good luck!!

I called one in to 8 feet in 40 MPH wind. Never heard him but we knew he was here, roosted the night before. SCARED me bad, he came up from behind me, missed first barrel and nailed him on the run the 2nd.

I was on some birds but it didnt work out first thing in the in the morning. The wind picked up and didnt hear anything else. This coyote came sneaking past me at 20 yards and a load of #6 put him down

Attachments

• 20190427_140828.jpg
    20190427_140828.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 52
Nice.

My buddy called in a hen this morning. It checked out his decoy before moving on. He's off this whole week. Lucky skunk. I'm stuck working until the weekend.

Back