• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA M/L Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sarge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, It's that time of the year I wait for all year. Can't wait!!! Let's hear from all our PA flinters out there. :grin:

I always look forward to the day after Christmas more than Christmas day because it's opening day of PA's Flintlock season! :grin: :thumbsup:

Putting treestand out in couple hours.Not sure about hunting Saturday morning with all that rain but plan on being out every day of the season.

I am pretty busy the first Sat, so I might not get out. I plan on being out as many evenings after work as possible. I hunt on a farm about 10 mins from work and my nephews place is about 30 mins from work. I plan to hunt both.

Might get to Apollo county park in York for a Sat hunt. It is down by the Susquehanna river and is real pretty down there.

I'll be hunting in York Co. Hopefully a friend can make it too. We do some little two man drives and pushes in the really thick stuff. The deer don't usually go where we want them to, but it's fun.

I hope to get out possibly Saturday afternoon, but will still have company with the doe hunters in 5C

I had to work opening day but plan to get out on Monday in Potter County. I'll get to try out my new wool shirt and stormy kromer hat that I got for Christmas. Should be fun, they're calling for 1-3 inches of white stuff tonight.

I hunted with my dad and three cousins in warren county. I saw 4 deer but didn't get a shot. My dad had a doe come in 30 yards and he had a KLACK!! Alot of rain-wet heavy snow in the am. I'm back in NC now and I got a call from my cousin yesterday. After the foot and a half of snow they got in Erie county he went out. Got out about 11 am and by 230 he was dragging out a 10 point. Sh@# house luck. :grin: I wish I could have hunted more than a day but work couldn't wait another day. Judging by the snow they got sunday night and into monday, me and my wife got out of town at the right time. :grin:

My son and I made it out today for our first hunt of the late season. Only saw one, no shooting.

I did get educated about Stormy Kromer from the writing on the inside of my son's new hat!! You learn something everyday.

I will be getting out in 2B for the first time this season on Friday. Hope the rain stays solid for Friday and Saturday. I didn't even try to hunt the rain last week.

I went out with the flinter today, got to my stand about 2pm. By 2:20pm I had a doe and fawn feeding across the hill at about 30 paces. I watched them for an hour and then sat quiet until about 4pm, when a button buck came running in and stood at 4 yards from me bobbing his head at me. Then he went about to browsing away and then came back and stood in his same tracks and looked at me again. Then he slowly browsed away in the opposite direction and I sat tight until he was on the top of the hill. By then it was getting pretty dark so I got to packing up and heading for the truck. I kicked up a lone deer over the hill near my truck but couldn't see what it was. I made it to the truck, fired it up and sat in it for awhile with the heat blasting. I was pretty cold from sitting still all that time with the deer around me. It is gonna be brutal tomorrow though, with highs in the mid teens. Tomorrow will be a tracking and stalking day for sure. Not much standing in one spot for any length of time.

You are right...It's gonna be brutal tomorrow. I missed a doe @80-90 yds yesterday afternoon. I'm zeroed @ 50 and aimed dead on...maybe it was a little farther. Shot under her. DUH!!! :doh: 6-point in the area, too. Not an 8 though. Good luck tomorrow morning. Keep us posted on results. Snow in the forcast tonight. 2-4 by morning in 2D. :grin:

I'll be in 5C as well. I was out this morning in Marsh Creek State Park with my Deerstalker flint lock.
Safe hunting.

Next time you'll get that doe. I missed a 9 point in archery because I used the bottom pin instead of the top pin. That is a mistake you can't recover from in the margin of error. I've been holding out for a buck with my flinter, but them does are looking mighty tasty lately in the cold weather we've been having. We have enough deer that I feel good about taking one in 2b.
Shoot straight, stay warm, return home safe.

Took my GPR for a short trip this morning to public land in 5c. I realize there is just too much hunting pressure on public land in the SE part of the state. Archery was nice, saw deer almost every trip, but all I see now are Mossbergs and a stack of doe tags. I need to find a place to hunt deer, not avoid other hunters :(

I was out today on a steep, undeveloped "mountain" in the middle of the 'burbs in 2B. Holy Mother it was cold. I managed to kick two antlerless out to other hunters when I was walking. I personally didn't see anything of my liking. When you are on this "mountain", you'd swear you were hunting the northern tier of PA. I had a nice day of solitude, but not much else. My wife said I am crazy to sit out there in this cold. I said I would be crazy if I stayed home. She didn't get it. Haha.

2010Flintlock.jpg

I hunt WMU 3D in N.E. Pa. It was very windy and cold with snow blowing as I headed out this morning. I was asking myself if I was crazy hunting in these conditions. 20 degree temps with gusts up to 40 mph is not the best Whitetail weather. I can't recall having ever taken a deer with the wind blowing like it was, as per my experience, they usually hunker down when it's like this. There was snow cover on the ground so I was wore my snow camo. I decided to still hunt an area of hardwoods with a mix of young white pines that would give me some cover. As it turned out the wind and snow worked to my advantage. I positioned myself at the edge of a steep hill where I had a good view of an area below and to the sides of me where the deer frequently traveled. I stood for about ten minutes when I spotted a doe walking broadside to me. The wind was in my favor and was howling and the snow camo was working perfectly. She never saw me as I leveled my gun on her and lined up my sights. When I touched off my rifle I could see I had connected. The deer was hit hard and only bolted 10 yds before collapsing. I reloaded my rifle while keeping an eye on her to be sure she was down for good. I paced off the shot and she was approximately 70 yds away when I fired. My 50 cal. patched round ball powered by 100 grs of FFG passed completely through her chest cavity. I was fortunate that my hunt ended early and I was able to harvest a fine animal to provide me with some prime venison. As a note my rifle was a caplock T-C Hawken that I modified into a flinter with a Green Mountain round ball barrel and a L&R lock. She looks good and shoots center and has taken many deer for me over the years. Good luck to all the other Pa. flinters during the late season.....Frank H.

Good one Fuzzy.That wind just cuts thru ya on Saturday.Stayed in till next week.

Latest posts

Back