• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pa.Flinty only season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20221226_122737051.jpg
PXL_20221226_144330830.jpg

I sure wish we had one of those Sundays today. After raining all day yesterday, hunting today would be nice!
Official Sunday hunting should be every Sunday from September 15th until February 28th, for all small game, all big game, and waterfowl. It’s no wonder some people take this ridiculous situation into their own hands and surreptitiously hunt on Sundays. I understand their thinking.

You could yes. I just took a break there and warmed up before continuing my hunt
That’s awesome
I once hunted a peninsula area really only assessable by boat. There was a small cave one could set up a cot in… small Dakota fire pit just outside if need. It was optimal… If you really wanted to rough it.

Seriously I thought about it, I’ve got a military cot to backpack in with and Good wool clothes. Walk out the cave and you’re hunting a very secluded area.

Last edited:
Wow I bet that works well hunting in frigid temps
Indeed! It’s the very best and warmest coat I have, but it really only works for very cold sits or very cold slow still hunts. Otherwise it’ll bake ya. Last week a lady asked me if I was concerned about it dragging on the ground, and much faster than I ever thought I was capable of, I responded No, I keep it zipped up. Fact is, it’s too nicely made to drag around in the woods like on a deer drive. Glad you like it, thank you

Was out several days over the last week and really can't believe I didn't get into deer. Saw a couple the other morning but was still too dark to shoot. Hunted hard today in a prime area I thought but just couldn't find em. Did find the old bones of a 19th century homestead in a hollow so took the opportunity for a photo.
James

Attachments

• 20230102_133416.jpg
    20230102_133416.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Was out several days over the last week and really can't believe I didn't get into deer. Saw a couple the other morning but was still too dark to shoot. Hunted hard today in a prime area I thought but just couldn't find em. Did find the old bones of a 19th century homestead in a hollow so took the opportunity for a photo.
James
Late season is so stinkin' tough. They're either everywhere or gone it seems.
Great photo!

The huge buck I was after since archery season turned up as a doe. 😕 Despite carefully looking at his head this morning as he walked by, to ensure it wasn’t a spike or a button buck, I thought it was a doe and shot just as he had cut my scent at 35 yards and froze. I’ll go look for his shed antlers after I’m done butchering him. Crazy weather has gone from pouring rain and horrible fog to now hot sunshine. I kept the flintlock under wraps and under my arm until I saw him, and only then brought the gun up. The air is so moist now that ignition could be a challenge. I’m feeling conflicted about this kill. On the one hand success is important. A lot of people are going to enjoy this animal. On the other hand, he’s a very old bruiser who I’d rather know was out there waiting for this fall. He had a huge rack.

Attachments

• 5EDB943A-529E-407A-930E-BE034360C6CB.jpeg
    5EDB943A-529E-407A-930E-BE034360C6CB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D5E1D83B-DC12-4429-9754-8986057E9EB7.png
    D5E1D83B-DC12-4429-9754-8986057E9EB7.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The huge buck I was after since archery season turned up as a doe. 😕 Despite carefully looking at his head this morning as he walked by, to ensure it wasn’t a spike or a button buck, I thought it was a doe and shot just as he had cut my scent at 35 yards and froze. I’ll go look for his shed antlers after I’m done butchering him. Crazy weather has gone from pouring rain and horrible fog to now hot sunshine. I kept the flintlock under wraps and under my arm until I saw him, and only then brought the gun up. The air is so moist now that ignition could be a challenge. I’m feeling conflicted about this kill. On the one hand success is important. A lot of people are going to enjoy this animal. On the other hand, he’s a very old bruiser who I’d rather know was out there waiting for this fall. He had a huge rack.

Congrats on a fine deer.
That's why they call it "antlerless". Nothing you could do.

Congrats on a fine deer.
That's why they call it "antlerless". Nothing you could do.
Thank you. I appreciate your nice words. I’m needing absolution on this. Last week on a deer drive I pushed what I could tell was a big animal to the standers. The shot went off and when I got up to it there lay a very big buck minus his antlers. Don’t recall seeing antlers drop this early. Bucks with racks are still moving, so I guess it depends on the health of the individual animal. Well, I wanted to share this to give hope to other late season hunters, who are all struggling with crappy weather. My hands are about to get real bloody for the next hour or two while I do a basic butcher job on him, so I wanted to put up the pictures before diving into the work.

Latest posts

Back